Notifiable or not?

As the original poster, having read through all the replies, It seems that even the experts can't agree.

I suppose at the end of the day it will be down to the local building inspector and how he interprets the rules.

Thanks for all your replies.

Sponsored Links
As the original poster, having read through all the replies, It seems that even the experts can't agree.
It may seem like that, but I think the consensus is that, with the (English) law as written, the work would not be notifiable. Even the person who was perhaps the most 'disssenting' admitted "By the way I am not disagreeing with you or anyone else on the legal aspect of this, and providing that the correct provisions are made regarding safety by design, construction and commissioning perfectly legal."
I suppose at the end of the day it will be down to the local building inspector and how he interprets the rules.
Your problem obviously is that Building Control is already involved because of the wider aspects of your project. Were it simply a bit of standalone electrical work then, if you accepted the apparent consensus view of the law, you simply would not notify the work, and it's extremely unlikely that BC would ever even know that it had happened, so would never have an opportunity to argue.

Kind Regards, John

I think I have resolved my own query now. Having rechecked all the website info for my local building control, It seems I have paid a standard fee for a garage conversion, which includes notification of electrical and other work. I.e it is assumed that if a garage conversion is carried out then there will be notifiable electrical work. I think the fee includes inspection of cables prior to covering and final inspection on completion. If all is satisfactory a building completion notice will be issued. Of course this doesn't include testing and certification of the electrics. I assume I would have to have this done separately.

I think I have resolved my own query now. Having rechecked all the website info for my local building control, It seems I have paid a standard fee for a garage conversion, which includes notification of electrical and other work. I.e it is assumed that if a garage conversion is carried out then there will be notifiable electrical work. I think the fee includes inspection of cables prior to covering and final inspection on completion.
Yes, I think someone else suggested that might be the case. However, it does seem a little odd, in the sense of BC seemingly making up their own rules/laws. If the (real) law says that the electrical work concerned, per se, is not notifiable, then it's a little difficult to why/how they can/should 'take an interest' in (i.e. inspect) that work. Of course, a garage conversion very often will involve 'new circuits', in which case there is no scope for claiming that the electrical work is not notifiable - but in situations like yours, that is not necessarily the case.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Notifiable or not notifiable that is the question.....what about certifiable or non-certifiable?

Notifiable or not notifiable that is the question.....what about certifiable or non-certifiable?
Any electrical work undertaken in compliance with BS7671 should result in some sort of 'certificate', even if only a 'Minor Works' one.

Kind Regards, John

As the garage conversion is well under way, I thought an update may be appropriate.

After the floor was laid the building inspector paid his first visit. He observed the new consumer unit and asked who was doing the electrics. I advised him that the consumer unit had been installed tested and certified by a qualified electrician and that I would be installing the cables for the sockets and lights in the garage. He asked if they were existing or new circuits and I said that one light and one socket exists and I would be extending these with an additional light and additional sockets. I also said that I would probably remove the existing cable and replace with new cable.

All he said then was 'let me know when the cables are installed as I need to see them before covering with plasterboard'. Having installed all the cables I called him back and he just took a quick look at some of the cabling and said 'that looks ok, go ahead and plasterboard'. The builder asked him when he needed to inspect again, and he just said 'when the job is complete' No further mention was made of the electrics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back