Power to the loft direct from CU

I just dug out the box of bumf the previous owner left me which has cleared up why the alarm is connected where it is. The installation manual for the alarm says...

The best place to get power to the alarm control panel is directly from the consumer unit. The burglar alarm should have its own individual circuit protected by a 6a miniature circuit breaker. The cable from the 6a mcb should be 1.5mm twin & earth sheathed cable, which runs into an unswitched fused 3a spur connection unit

I've also found the alarm installation worksheet in which the engineer has written "no spare 6A on right side so adding to light circuit"

I am assuming from that that the alarm needs to be on the non RCD side so that if the RCD trips, the alarm is still powered.

As it states explicitly in the manual it should be protected by a 6a breaker, am I still ok following plugwash's advice and connecting it to the 20A heating circuit instead? It is correctly behind an unswitched 3a FCU as stated in the manual.

Sponsored Links
the 3A fuse is perfectly fine protection for the panel

just make sure the wire from the heating/freezer cuircuit to the fcu for the panel is 2.5mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back