New CU in Loft

ban-all-sheds said:
If it were me I'd supply the 2nd CU via split tails and a switchfuse, not from a position on the first board.....

Now that would be OTT for the loads proposed...

Sponsored Links
Well Pensdown i don't think theres much in it really.

I've now run the 10mm cable to the loft from the CU and the electrician came round and checked it last night on his way home from work.

He said if i hadnt done that i'd have to pay him more to do it any other way. As things are it's not going to take him long to complete the job. I can't really see there's any reason for me to doubt him it's not like he's making anything out of it .

The extra £50 i've paid for 20mtrs cable and a 4way hager board with MCBs hasn't exactly broken the bank plus i've saved on the electricians labour.

Shaunoffshotgun said:
The extra £50 i've paid for 20mtrs cable and a 4way hager board with MCBs hasn't exactly broken the bank plus i've saved on the electricians labour.

There you go, what did I tell ya? :LOL:

Adam_151 said:
ban-all-sheds said:
If it were me I'd supply the 2nd CU via split tails and a switchfuse, not from a position on the first board.....

Now that would be OTT for the loads proposed...

I'm confused now by that post ban all sheds.

Earlier in the thread i got the impression you thought it best to use one or both of the spare ways i have in the existing CU ?

Sponsored Links
The main thing is your happy and it sounds like your sparks has done you and himself proud.

I suppose when looking at quotes all day it's easy to get in the habit of designing work the most cost effective way possible, otherwise not only would our customers feel they were being ripped off but we would keep loosing tenders.

You have not been ripped off and your sparks has designed the works in such away that it allows you to do it, thus making the savings. If you were getting costs in for all the works then there are much more cost effective ways of doing it, thats all I was trying to say

Yes Pensdown i understand what you are saying. For ME, the proposal is ideal . For his next customer it may not be.

Shaunoffshotgun said:
I'm confused now by that post ban all sheds.

Earlier in the thread i got the impression you thought it best to use one or both of the spare ways i have in the existing CU ?
I would say either use the spare ways you have for the new circuits, or if you want a separate CU up there (and I can see arguments in favour of that) then have it fed from the meter, not from one of the spare ways in the existing CU.

Not sure why Adam said that would be OTT for the loads proposed, a CU in the loft fed by a 10mm² cable is the same whether that cable originates from an MCB in the 1st CU or a separate switchfuse....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back