Extension wiring design

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning the wiring on a 2 storey extension.

Current CU is full, with the following ccts: RCD(40A shower, 32A sockets), MCB(6A lights up,6A lights down,6A smoke, 32A cooker).

Current loading on lighting circuits is 590W upstairs and 840W downstairs. The new lighting will give an extra 300W load on upstairs lights and 730W load downstairs.

Floor area of existing house is 100m^2, the extension results in an additional 50m^2.

The kitchen in the original house is to be moved (still within the original house), and an induction hob will replace the current electrical hob.

The existing gge circuit is fed from a 13A plug, so a new cct for a detached garage is required.

The hot water cylinder has an immersion heater which isn't currently connected.

The current CU is in an understair cupboard. The wiring bundle feeding the CU will have to be re-routed as the stairs are rotating through 180 degrees.

I was thinking of adding additional RCD circuits as follows: 32A Extension sockets, 32A New kitchen ring, 6A New lights down, 16A gge, 16A immersion.

The original 40A shower feed can be used for the induction hob (new bathroom, plumbed HW shower)

Questions I have are as follows:

1. Do i need a new ring for the kitchen? The old 32A cooker feed can be used for the new (double) oven, along with a separate 40A hob supply.

2. Is it ok for the induction Hob to be on the RCD? I could swap this with the smoke alarms and add the new extension detector to it for 17th ed compliance.

3. Should i replace the original CU with a split load 12 (10?) way 17th edition, or go for an additional RCD protected CU via 100A isolator and Henley block.
Meter---100A---Henley-----New CU(RCD only) + -- Original CU(100A+RCD)

4. If I go for a single CU, will all the existing circuits have to comply with 17th edition? If so, it will have to be a separate CU.

Any other insights or recommendations would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Also consider revising your lighting design - the one you have is clearly ridiculously inefficient if it's going to need so much power to light that space.

Will the existing ring main be overloaded due to the new kitchen? It already has a kitchen on the ring, it's just going to be moved.
The oven and hob will be on separate supplies.

What's the best way to put the new circuits in? A bigger replacement CU, or adding another onto the existing?

Lighting design assumes worst case, 60W bulbs in 3 fixture lights etc. It will most likely have energy savers in, but I thought it best to plan for the worst case.

Sponsored Links
Lighting design assumes worst case, 60W bulbs in 3 fixture lights etc. It will most likely have energy savers in, but I thought it best to plan for the worst case.

Good design practice. Never mind BAS - he's just thought he'd sniffed out a potential downlights installation and is ready to pounce! ;)

4 x 180W in 25m²?

3026aviator2l28461.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back