Extension Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, does this sound like a reasonable configuration for a 2 bedroom, kitchen and conservatory extension?

12 way split load cu with 63a 30ma rcd.

Ring 1 - single socket in garage, 2 double sockets in each bedroom, 2 work top double sockets in kitchen and double socket in conservatory to 32a rcd side

Ring 2 - 3 single sockets in kitchen under work top supplying dishwasher, washing machine and tumble drier - 13a fused spur up to combi boiler to 32a non rcd side

Radial 1 - Fridge socket in kitchen to 6a non rcd

Radial 2 - Cooker switch to 40A rcd side or non rcd? Will be totally gas though, should I be installing for possibility of electric later?

All Lighting to 6A non rcd, with kitchen extractor fitted.

Existing shower to 40a non rcd, all sockets to 32a non rcd, lighting to 6a non rcd. Existing Immersion heater which will go when combi fitted, will fit to 40A Non RCD for now.

Sponsored Links
freezer wants a 16A mcb, not 6A (was it a typo?)

sockets shouldn't be on a 6A circuit, and I'm sure a freezer would trip a 6A on start-up,

shower wants to be on rcd side, not regs(god knows why), but most likely manufactors instructions, as well as a bloody good idea

Any sockets which may be used outside have to be rcd protected

How big is that immersion heater? :eek:

Take your point, but you can run some freezers from a 6A breaker.

i wouldn't though not a B6 anyway guess you could consider a C6 but i'd consider even that to be pushing it a bit.

a dedicated fridge/freezer cuircuit is somewhere you really don't wan't nusense tripping.

Sponsored Links
Not sure about the rating of the heater, will have a good look later but it switches through a 13a type switch and goes to an existing 30A fuse in the old cu. If less than 3kw, can I use a 16A non rcd breaker? Also, if I wire the shower through the rcd side, will the 63a rcd do or will I have to go to a 80a?

3 KW immersion heater at 230v = 13.04 A, so a 16A MCB is the one to go for.

Noone will be able to recommend the breaker for your shower unless you state it's power rating!!

Thanks slippy. I can do the maths, but I didn't know if I had to protect the circuit based on what could be connected. Eg if my shower is only 7kw, do I wire for 10kw. I take it now that I wire for what I have at the moment the testing is done? I am torn between the 2 cu units in screwfix, the volex 12 way with 63a rcd or the mk with 80a rcd. I am not worried about the cost difference, but read a thread on my travels about mk falling apart?

I'd recommend using an 80A rcd, if you have a 60a and have the shower and sockets on it, you have overloaded it before you even do much,

Don't think voltex will be better than MK :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back