United Kingdom
My split load consumer unit is wired as follows:
Non RCD:100A Isolator
Upstairs lights 6A MCB
Downstairs lights 6 A MCB
Outside lights 6 A MCB
Alarm - 6A MCB
Garage (attached) - 16A MCB radial with a RCD FCU feeding 13A sockets
(Garage is used as a work shop and has 9 double and 2 single 13A sockets to save trailing leads but other than low power chargers etc there is only ever one socket in use for power tools at any one time)

RCD Protected: 63A RCD
Final Ring 32A MCB
Boiler + 2 13A sockets 16A RCD Radial (Boiler in upstairs airing cupboard and sockets in loft for aerial amp + spare)
Oven 40A MCB
Shed 16A MCB Radial - Shed has its own local consumer unit feeding a light and a two 13A sockets - one with built in RCD.

This all works OK but as I may be having some notifiable work done in the kitchen in the future there is an oportunity to change things.

Any independant advice/ comments on the above set up would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
All bathroom circuit should be RCD protected so it might be an idea to migrate the upstairs lights on to an rcbo.

Personally I'd also dump the 13a rcd f/spur for the garage and re engineer that on to an rcbo as well.

Have you got 10mm earth bonding for gas and water ? Are the supply tails double insulated 25mm ? Is the main eath between supply and board 16mm ?

Thanks
Bathroom lights are all 12v and yes to bonding but I doubt if main earth is as big as 16mm and not sure about the meter tails - will get that checked out.

Hi during some PIR,s I haved drawn the owners attention to the fact that some the installations (domestic?) have no RCD provision despite being completed when the 16th was in force, the owners of these (several time share properties) have countered my obsevations by saying that part of the time share agreement/contract states that no electrical equipment other than that provided will be used and that the use of electrical euipment outdoors is expressly forbidden and that therefore that particular requirement within the regs is nulled. my opinion is, what tosh but what do you guys think ??
DM

Sponsored Links
As the requirement in the 16th was for RCD protection for sockets "reasonably expected to supply portable equipment for use outdoors" then I think the owners are absolutely right.

If people have signed a legally binding agreement not to do something it is reasonable to expect them to abide by it, and therefore not reasonable to expect them to contravene it.

Maguire - you are carrying out the PIR to the current edition of the regulations so what they say about the 16th edn doesn't matter - all sockets for general use now need to be on a 30mA RCD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back