Extending a radial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this has been asked/answered before. I'm converting an attached garage into a spare room and utility room. Builder did the major work, I'm doing the interior work.

Garage currently has a 20amp radial using 2.5mm T&E, supplying one socket and a fused lighting spur. It had been suggested to extend the radial, which would supply 4 sockets, 2 fused spur lights and a connection to an approx 600 watt underfloor heating mat.

As I understand it, this would constitute 'minor' work and not need Part P, is this the case? However, I am also concerned that the load would be too high, as I want to put a washing machine and tumble dryer in the utility room.

Would I be better off converting the radial to a ring and getting a sparkie to connect and test?[/b]

Sponsored Links
The work will be notifiable under Building Regs as you're creating new habitable space and that is notifiable. Did you put electric wiring on your Building Regs application form for the garage conversion and how did you say on that application how would you comply with Part P?

Converting the 20A radial to a 32A ring would be sensible if it can be done. The fused lighting spurs however should be taken back to the consumer unit and wired as conventional lighting circuits if at all possible.

The new work will have to comply with current Regs which may be an issue if the existing circuits are not RCD protected.

Underfloor heating is a special installation and therefore requires notification!
All electrical installation must comply to part p regardless of minor works or EIC, it is a legal requirement that the work is compliant to that document. So leading on from that, even if the work is considered minor works, this does not mean it is work that should be not be notified.
Do not get confused with part p and notification. Part p covers all aspects of electrical installation within a domestic property, whether it be notifiable, non-notifiable, minor works or an installation requiring and EIC.

As for the loading aspects, I would if at all possible consider the design of this installation.
A 20A circuit running lighting, UFH, sockets and appliance could quite easily be under full load and above.
It could be wise to either alter circuit to a RFC on 32A or even introduce a new circuit or two. Also as mentioned above, the sockets will require 30ma RCD protection

Sponsored Links
I suppose it might soften the butter if it had been in the fridge and you wanted to spread it on your crumpet.

Got a sparky coming in to convert the radial to a ring main, so that should sort that....

The underfloor heating is 140w per sq m, so a bit more than I said as its 8sq metres!

Whilst we're on that topic, anyone got any views on electric underfloor heating? After I bought it, a local sparky told me that they tended to go wrong after a couple of years. The alternative is just to use an electric rad (central heating not an option).

Electric underfloor heating is good for taking the chill off the floor, so it's not cold when you're stood on it in your bare feet.

For heating up a room it's worse than useless.

I fitted in into a wet room. Now no longer used. The floor could not be heated more or you could not walk on it yet room still cold.

The thermostat failed 3 times on the 3rd time also needed a new sensor but old one got stuck in the pocket.

The big problem was time. After switching on it was nearly an hour before the floor got warm the room another hour after that so a two hour warm up time. Except when cooled with shower the reverse was true for cooling down one hour after turning off still warming room.

So only any good if room to be heated 24/7.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back