Kitchen Wiring and fuse ratings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would appreciate some advice:

Extended my kitchen by knocking down a wall to a utility room. The utility room incorporated a connection for an electric kiln used by the previous house owner. The cable is on a dedicated radial circuit to the CU. I want to move this cable (4mm) to supply my new single electric oven connected via a single socket / isolator. What rating fuse would be required for this circuit (cartridge type)? It currently has a 30 A fuse.

Under part P is it required for a registered electrician to move an existing power supply?

There is an existing oven power supply (4mm cable on a dedicated radial circuit) which I want to convert to a double socket and then extend the radial circuit for an additional socket for a TV. I want to use 2.5 mm cable for the extension since I will no longer be using the circuit as an oven power supply. Can I do this and put in a lower rating fuse in to protect the 2.5 mm cable? What rating fuse would be appropriate?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Firstly this work is notifiable to building control.

Extended my kitchen by knocking down a wall to a utility room. The utility room incorporated a connection for an electric kiln used by the previous house owner. The cable is on a dedicated radial circuit to the CPU. I want to move this cable (4mm) to supply my new single electric oven connected via a single socket / isolator. What rating fuse would be required for this circuit (cartridge type)? It currently has a 30 A fuse.

30A fuse, that'll be a BS3036 rewireable fuse so you should be looking to replace the consumer unit with something more modern incorporating RCD protection for downstairs sockets.

I hope this radial does not connect to your CPU (Central Proccessor Unit) as you are likely to get windows on you sockets.

You haven't said what the power requirements are for the oven, probably would be ok on a 32A MCB but any advice is a pure guess without specifics.

I would extend the existing oven radial with 4mm as its cheaper and more useful, cost of a FCU versus 4mm cable.

Too much time in front of the computer - make that CU!

If I do the work myself can I get it signed off by an electrician instead of going the building notification route? I already have submitted a notification for the building work - would a new notification have to be submitted for the electrical work?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You should have included this in your initial notification. You will need to speak to LABC if you want their approval.

You might find an electrician to certify it for you but personally I wouldn't certify anothers work, its not worth the risk.

To save a penny or two you could do the wall chasing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back