Using pre installed cooker circuit for 13amp or 16amp oven.

Thanks would this be the better option or would changing MCB to 16amp be better. I did have a look at 1.5mm amp ratings and some said has rating of 15amp is that true? If so just doubled checking it would it be ok on 16amp mcb
Not knowing the internal construction of the oven, and the manufacturers have specified 16A, I would change the MCB, the existing cable will be fine on that

Sponsored Links
Thanks would this be the better option or would changing MCB to 16amp be better. I did have a look at 1.5mm amp ratings and some said has rating of 15amp is that true? If so just doubled checking it would it be ok on 16amp mcb
Not knowing the internal construction of the oven, and the manufacturers have specified 16A, I would change the MCB, the existing cable will be fine on that

No I'll happily disregard the fuse instruction in favour of an MCB/RCBO.
I thought you might.
Personally I've had to replace so many overheated 13A plugs, sockets and FCU's that I came to the conclusion they are not suitable for heavy loads, such as heating,which are likely be on for an extended period.
I don't disagree with that.
I will not fit a FCU for an oven, wall heater etc.
Ah - that's another of the MIs (for the "13A oven") that you would contravene, then, since they "instruct" ...
(Requires hardwiring to a fused spur)
:)

Kind Regards, John

would this be the better option or would changing MCB to 16amp be better.
It depends which you think easier.

As you have seen, not everyone is going to be satisfied with what ever is suggested.
It only takes one to start an argument.

It is suggested that you must change the MCB because the flex is quite small therefore the alternative is to fit a larger flex.
Now someone is worried that the innards of the oven might somehow require it - even though they do not.

I did have a look at 1.5mm amp ratings and some said has rating of 15amp is that true? If so just doubled checking it would it be ok on 16amp mcb
Yes, it will be alright. 3.3kW @ 240V is 13.75A

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I (maybe many of us?) am getting a bit confused amidst all the discussion and disagreements. I thought that, of the two ("13A" and "16A") "3.3 kW" ovens that the OP described, I thought that it was the former, which calls for a 13A (not 16A) supply, that the OP ended up buying? ...
T... we went with oven what says on currys to wire into 13amp fuse spur. it's a hisense BSA5221ABUK. .... Can't find anywhere in instructions about installation and what amp fuse is needed only information it gives is its 3.3kw.

Kind Regards, John

Here is a picture of the connections to a very large (in physical size) 15kW range cooker for which the manufacturer's instructions (wrongly) stated that it must have a 45A MCB on the circuit.

You will note how small the internal wiring is - the same as all cookers/ovens.

upload_2021-5-27_12-38-30.png

I (maybe many of us?) am getting a bit confused amidst all the discussion and disagreements. I thought that, of the two ("13A" and "16A") "3.3 kW" ovens that the OP described, I thought that it was the former, which calls for a 13A (not 16A) supply, that the OP ended up buying? ...

Kind Regards, John
OK. So enquiries with a Curries installer/maintenance guy. I asked how he would fit these models, I suggested the MI states 13A FCU. His answer?

"F*** **f I have the OP543 oven which is electrically the same and it draws over 14A at 230V"

On that basis I calculate >16A @ 240V and will draw a distinct conclusion.

"F*** **f I have the OP543 oven which is electrically the same and it draws over 14A at 230V"
a.k.a 11.2 A (at 230V) "after diversity" :)
On that basis I calculate >16A @ 240V and will draw a distinct conclusion.
Hmmm. By my reckoning, 14 A at 230V equates to just over 14.6 A [a.k.a 11.38 A "after diversity"] at 240V.

Kind Regards, John

a.k.a 11.2 A (at 230V) "after diversity" :)
Hmmm. By my reckoning, 14 A at 230V equates to just over 14.6 A [a.k.a 11.38 A "after diversity"] at 240V.

Kind Regards, John
Sorry my bad, I was looking at the 16.43Ω.
Is diversity applied to a single element?

Even so in my experience 13A BS1363 accessories are NOT fit for such 13A loads, let alone 14A.

Last edited:
Is diversity applied to a single element?
It may well not be just one element (I haven't looked at spec) but, even if it is, I see no reason why not - even a single element will be 'off' for a significant proportion of any appreciable period of time. In any event, with such relatively 'low' loads, the diversity correction is very modest - 11.2A is 80% of 14A, so the calculation is assuming that the element will be powered-down (by thermostat) for only 20% of the time.
Even so IMO 13A BS1363 accessories are fit for such 13A loads, let alone 14A.
You may wish to edit that :)

Kind Regards, John

It may well not be just one element (I haven't looked at spec) but, even if it is, I see no reason why not - even a single element will be 'off' for a significant proportion of any appreciable period of time. In any event, with such relatively 'low' loads, the diversity correction is very modest - 11.2A is 80% of 14A, so the calculation is assuming that the element will be powered-down (by thermostat) for only 20% of the time.
You may wish to edit that :)

Kind Regards, John
I did, well before you posted.:)

1 minute before, actually (1:13 vs 1:14) - obviously whilst I was typing my reply, otherwise your original would not have appeared in my quote of it!

Kind Regards, John
Actually. I added the NOT quite quickly, I'd have said within 3 or 4 minutes, then changed the IMO later but let's not fall out over it.:)

Actually. I added the NOT quite quickly, I'd have said within 3 or 4 minutes, then changed the IMO later but let's not fall out over it.:)
I have no reason not to believe you, let alone 'fall out over it' :) All I can now know from the 'surviving evidence' is that both of your edits must have been effected after I started typing my reply - since it is the pre-any-edits version that got quoted in my reply!

Kind Regards, John

I have no reason not to believe you, let alone 'fall out over it' :) All I can now know from the 'surviving evidence' is that both of your edits must have been effected after I started typing my reply - since it is the pre-any-edits version that got quoted in my reply!

Kind Regards, John
It happens to me all the time, Too often I'll start a reply then have dinner or something then continue the post and often miss several other replies...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back