Using pre installed cooker circuit for 13amp or 16amp oven.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I am renewing my kitchen and at the moment I have a large cooker I'm changing it to a single oven. At the moment the cooker is on its own dedicated circuit with a 32mcb and 6mm cable going to a 45a cooker switch then going to a 45a cooker outlet plate which the cooker connects to with 6mm cable. I haven't decided on oven yet the two I'm looking at one says it's a 13amp and needs hardwiring and the other is a 16 amp and needs hardwiring. Could either one of them ovens just be hard wired into the cooker outlet plate that is there using the cooker circuit that is already installed and what size cable would be needed for this or would I have to change the 6mm cable to smaller cable and the mcb to a lower amp instead of 32mcb as there only either 13amp or 16amp ovens. Or could I keep the 6mm cable and 32mcb and replace cooker outlet plate with a 20amp outlet plate or 20a fuse spur for 16amp oven or a 13a fuse spur for the 13amp oven.The ratings for both ovens are
13amp oven
Requires hardwiring to a 13 Amp fuse
Power supply 13 Amp (Requires hardwiring to a fused spur)
Electrical power rating 3.3 kW
16amp oven
Electrical installation- Requires hardwiring to a 16 Amp fuse.
Power supply 16 Amp (Requires hardwiring to a dedicated circuit)
Electrical power rating.3.3 kW
I will be getting a electrician to do it just want to get a idea how it's done before get quotes
Cheers

Sponsored Links
You can just wire them to the existing outlet plate or a dual outlet plate.

There are no 20 amp fuses spurs, max is 13 amp.

Existing 6mm cable is OK, does not matter if cable is bigger than required. The existing 32 amp MCB is also OK, it’s purpose is to protect the 6mm cable.

Edit. Just noticed you have posted exactly the same on the Screwfix forum. Pretty pointless as the answers should be the same.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You can just wire them to the existing outlet plate or a dual outlet plate.

There are no 20 amp fuses spurs, max is 13 amp.

Existing 6mm cable is OK, does not matter if cable is bigger than required. The existing 32 amp MCB is also OK, it’s purpose is to protect the 6mm cable.

Edit. Just noticed you have posted exactly the same on the Screwfix forum. Pretty pointless as the answers should be the same.

Thanks Yes posted on Screwfix as well thought there may be people on here that are not on Screwfix that may give other answers.
What size cable would go from oven to cooker plate and would it be ok to connect 13 amp or 16amp oven straight into cooker plate as that says 45a and it's in 32a mcb?
Sorry I meant 20amp do switch not fuse spur for 16amp oven
Cheers

Ovens normally come with cable already fitted. Use it.

It can be connected straight into the cooker plate. 45 amps is its max rating, it will still work at lower currents. The 32 amp MCB is OK. The oven cannot draw more than its max rating.

Thanks all again so I have a electrician coming to look tomorrow I did some research and just wanted check I've got this correct if the cable supplied on oven is any thinner than 2.5mm2 should I ask electrician to change it to 2.5mm2 and get them to wire straight into my cooker plate and then change 32MCB for 16amp one if that correct. Will it be ok with 2.5mm2 cable from oven to cooker plate if rest is 6mm2.?

Again there is no need to change the MCB. The cable supplied on the oven will be the correct one supplied by the manufacturer. No need to change that either.

Winston likes advising people to ignore the manufacturers instructions.
All well and fine till the thing conks out and you may get refused your warranty claim, as you ignored them and fused it at 32A twice there recommended 16Arating

Winston likes advising people to ignore the manufacturers instructions.
All well and fine till the thing conks out and you may get refused your warranty claim, as you ignored them and fused it at 32A twice their recommended 16 amp rating.
A 32 amp cooker circuit is for a cooker. A separate hob and oven is a cooker in 2 parts which is usually put on a 32 amp circuit. Are you suggesting that a cooker in 2 parts should be on 2 separate circuits because that is not usually done?

A 32 amp cooker circuit is for a cooker. A separate hob and oven is a cooker in 2 parts which is usually put on a 32 amp circuit. Are you suggesting that a cooker in 2 parts should be on 2 separate circuits because that is not usually done?

Thanks it will just be a single oven on the circuit as we are getting a gas hob that has a plug and it's only 3amp so is just plugging straight into socket already in place in cupboard.
Would there still be no need to change 32mcb?

No need to change the 32 amp MCB. It’s purpose is to protect the 6mm cable. The oven cannot draw more than its max rating.

Would you change the MCB on a ring if you only plugged phone chargers in?

No need to change the 32 amp MCB. It’s purpose is to protect the 6mm cable. The oven cannot draw more than its max rating.

Would you change the MCB on a ring if you only plugged phone chargers in?

Thanks I was just worried that as oven was going be hard wired to connection plate and rest of cable was 6mm the oven cable would be thinner and that would cause a problem as the oven we have now is only 1.5mm thick if the new oven was the same would that be ok?

Changing cable size is not a problem. As I have already said the cable provided by the manufacturer will be OK. Why would they fit an undersized cable?
Cable sizes are measured by cross sectional area not thickness.

If you ignore the manufacturers instructions then you take responsibility for all the implications of doing that. That is NOT something to be taken lightly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back