'Part-time prisoners' given vote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Johnny F leading us again !!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/vote_2005/frontpage/4488225.stm

...The development comes as a government appeal against a European ruling that prisoners have voting rights has begun.
Officials say a general ban on voting is a legitimate part of punishment.
Last year prisoner John Hirst, 53, won a challenge at the European Court of Human Rights that current rules denying prisoners a vote breached their rights.

A final verdict will be delivered later in the year...

I sniff snouters at the EuroTrough again !!

Beef up a few marginals perhaps ?
;)

Sponsored Links
Hmmm, I don't hear any peers complaining that THEY can't vote.

I totally agree with the current laws, prisoners shouldn't be allowed to vote.

However, another voting issue at the moment, British troops in Iraq won't be allowed a postal vote for the coming general election here at home... Sounds fair, go and fight for Queen and country, but by doing so you forefeit your right to a say in the running of the country :evil: :evil: :evil:

AdamW said:
However, another voting issue at the moment, British troops in Iraq won't be allowed a postal vote for the coming general election here at home... Sounds fair, go and fight for Queen and country, but by doing so you forefeit your right to a say in the running of the country :evil: :evil: :evil:

They could still vote by proxy

Blair was on the vine show on radio2 and said categorically that all troops in Iraq and Afghanistan would be able to vote and he would personally see to it. ANOTHER LIE BLAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Sponsored Links
If they're part time prisoners, does that mean they are only part time criminals. :?:

jasy said:
Blair was on the vine show on radio2 and said categorically that all troops in Iraq and Afghanistan would be able to vote and he would personally see to it. ANOTHER LIE BLAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Very true, he actually said it would be sorted out within a week and once again he hasn't managed to do what he said.

david and julie said:
jasy said:

Very true, he actually said it would be sorted out within a week and once again he hasn't managed to do what he said.

But you must understand .. this is media-speke, tis only for the moment of utterance ... he knows the viewing figures for 'I'm a celeb get me outa here' just extrapolates the length of concentration required, and concludes most will forget what he said in about 2.64 secs, in fact after 1 hour they'll still think his first name is Lionel .. or even Liarnel - mind you, that is getting close !!
:D :D :D :D

AdamW said:

What happens when the prisoner is a peer? :)

david and julie said:
jasy said:

same happened during the falklands conflict.

kendor said:
AdamW said:

I dunno... ask Jeffrey! :LOL:

AdamW said:
kendor said:
AdamW said:

I dunno... ask Jeffrey! :LOL:
he wants £2000 left behind the toilets at Paddington Station before he'll answer. :LOL:

Used of course !! ... But then £2k would be sh it money for Jodfrey anyhow !! Another good West country lad !!
;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Back