Partial brick/DPC replacement below rear door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Full honesty, I'm a complete DIY novice and I'm hoping to get some advice on an issue I've discovered on a property I've recently moved into.

Previous owner had installed decking below the rear door to the garden, I've removed this and can now see the bricks and DPC below the rear door to the garden appear to have crumbled away, 3 bricks in particular are lose and I believe can be easily removed by hand. (Pictures attached)

All the other surrounding bricks appear to be fine.

The white plastic at the top on some pictures is the underneath of the rear door sill.

I know the concrete floor outside is way too high, this will be removed in the near future.

My immediate plan is to remove these and replace with new bricks, but my concern is with the state of the DPC.

Is it possible to remove a section and replace? is this something I could attempt myself or am I best getting a professional in?

Interior of the house seems absolutely fine and there is no evidence of any damp so, as awful as the DPC looks it appears to be doing its job still but I'd like to avoid any future issues.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide!

IMG_3439.JPG

IMG_3441.JPG

IMG_3442.JPG

IMG_3443.JPG

Sponsored Links
Is that a slate dpc?

Personally looking at the perps below the dpc I would be removing the concrete floor then having another look - I suspect more horrors await you

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah it's slate DPC - is that going to impact any sort of repair?

Sadly I think you're right! I'll be trying to get the concrete floor up this week

Sponsored Links
No no , no impact on the repair , though you will struggle to remove the slate without breaking it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back