Patch large area to fit duct?

TKH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install 6m of ducting in my ceiling. Between two joists over two rooms. Sadly there are already lost of pipes and wires up there so I am going to have to take some of the plaster board down to find space for it all.

How would you go about this? It looks easiest to just remove the plaster board from between the two joists required and then replace after. But I wonder about how visible the job may be and the possibility of cracking after as all joint would like up. Is there a better option?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No disrespect meant but as a DIY'er have you chosen the best route for the duct?
What is the duct for & have any professional installers been involved in selecting the route?

Typically you would go up through the ceiling to gain access to the joist bays.
But, depending on what the floor above is covered with, its sometimes better to lift bare boards say, than come from below.
Are the pipes you mention running along the joist bays or across them?

Cutting out the plaster board is simple, and replacement & making good is easy.

• Thanks
Reactions: TKH
Thank you for the reply. Sadly the way the joists are its the only option to have it not visible. The only other option is have box a pipe in going up through 2 already decorated rooms or going within the kitchen the same space. We just had lots of spots fitted and know the cables run all round where the ducting will be as is the microbore pipe for the hearing. Should not be a problem but suspect it will stop me simply sliding some ducting in with out it being snagged. One of the rooms above has carpet so will look at pulling up the floor boards. If it's not going to me to difficult from a plastering point of view I will get one round and see what he will quote. Thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back