Patching A Small Area - Which Plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have bricked up an old air vent (200mm x 150mm) in a bedroom and now need to plaster this area to match the rest of the wall. (There used to be a boiler in the bedroom many years ago, so the vent doesn't serve much of a purpose these days other than creating a draft.)

What's the best way to go about plastering this very small area other than purchasing an entire 25kg bag of hardwall and multifinish?

Can Thistle One Coat plaster be used for this (available as only a 7.5kg bag)? Although it does state that this should be used prior to wallpapering and tiling which makes me think it doesn't leave a smooth finish. The walls are painted so a smooth finish is a must. How about Thistle Finishing plaster? Can this be applied in stages (to reach the required thickness) and directly only the PVA'd brickwork?

Sponsored Links
Gypsum plasters are difficult for a novice to patch and feather in.

You would be better using a product such as easi fill which is sandable and easier to blend in.

I should have mentioned I have skimmed entire walls in the past to great success, so a patch like this is well within my grasp. I'm just not sure what product to use, other than buying new bags of hardwall and multifinish with 99% of the bags content then going into the bin.

I should have mentioned I have skimmed entire walls in the past to great success, so a patch like this is well within my grasp. I'm just not sure what product to use, other than buying new bags of hardwall and multifinish with 99% of the bags content then going into the bin.

For all you need, why don't you have a word with a local plasterer and "borrow" a little bonding coat plaster and a drop of multi finish. ;)

Sponsored Links

For all you need, why don't you have a word with a local plasterer and "borrow" a little bonding coat plaster and a drop of multi finish. ;)
Easier said than done, finding a plasterer out and about to 'borrow' some of his material.

Easier said than done, finding a plasterer out and about to 'borrow' some of his material.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back