What plaster to use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
TAKEN FROM BRITISH GYPSUM WEBSITE

Thistle Multi-Finish

This versatile final coat plaster provides good results on all suction backgrounds, and is therefore the best choice for plastering where both undercoats and board backgrounds are involved on the same job. It is also ideal for small jobs and patching.

Bag weight : 25kg
Approx coverage :10m2 (based on 2mm thickness)
Setting time 1.5 hours
Shelf life : 4month

-------------------------------------------------

Thistle Board Finish

The ideal final coat plaster for low-medium suction backgrounds such as plasterboard and Thistle Dri-Coat.

Nominal bag weight 25kg
Approx. coverage 10m2( based on 2mm thickness)
Approx. setting time 1.5hours
Shelf life 4month

--------------------------------------------------

Thistle Universal One Coat

For a variety of backgrounds. Suitable for application by hand or mechanical plastering machine.

Nominal bag weight25kg
Approx. coverage 2.5m2(based on 13mm thickness)
Approx. setting time 1.5-2 hours
Shelf life 4 month

-----------------------------------

Thistle Bonding Coat

Thistle Bonding Coat is an undercoat plaster ideal for smooth and low suction backgrounds, including:
Dense blocks
Concrete
Plasterboard
Backgrounds pre-treated with ThistleBond-it bonding agent
Thistle Bonding Coat is now even better, with a finer mix giving improved workability, especially being:
Easier to spread
Smoother
Easier to rule and darby

Nominal bag weight 25kg
Approx. coverage 2.75m2(based on 11mm thickness)
Approx. setting time 1.5-2hours
Shelf life 4 month

-------------------------------------------------

Thistle Hardwall

An undercoat plaster with high impact resistance and quicker drying surface. Suitable for application by hand or mechanical plastering machine to most masonry backgrounds.

Nominal bag weight 25kg
Approx. coverage 3m2(based on 11mm thickness)
Shelf life 4month

----------------------------------------------

Thistle Tough Coat

An undercoat plaster with high coverage and good impact resistance. Suitable for application by hand or mechanical plastering machine to most masonry backgrounds.

Nominal bag weight 25kg
Approx. coverage 3m2(based on 11mm thickness)
Shelf life 4month

-------------------------------------------

Thistle Browning

An undercoat plaster for solid backgrounds of moderate suction with an adequate mechanical key.

Nominal bag weight 25kg
Approx. coverage 3.5m2 (based on 11mm thickness)
Approx. setting time1.5-2hours
Shelf life 4 month

----------------------------------

Sponsored Links
I've just patched up using Board Finish partly over a scratch coat of dry-wall adhesive and partly over a coat of Thistle Bond-it on tiling back-board. Didn't take too well!
Probably put it on too thick. Little bubbles in finish - does that mean not enough suction?

Should've used Multi-finsh I suppose.
Looking for someone to blame. Maybe it's me!

Board finish is for boards, dont care what anyone says, if you use it on any other background you will see it. I have a wall in my kitchen and it was boarded apart from a tiny bit of a strip for the light switch which was chased in, then covered with adhesive. Its about an inch wide and 3 ft long.

I then skimmed it with boad finish, and i can tell exactly where the chase is/was.

I would only use multi, unless the finish was ONLY plasteboard the i may use board finish, but im so used to multi i always use it..

Sponsored Links
Board finish is for boards, dont care what anyone says, if you use it on any other background you will see it. I have a wall in my kitchen and it was boarded apart from a tiny bit of a strip for the light switch which was chased in, then covered with adhesive. Its about an inch wide and 3 ft long.

I then skimmed it with boad finish, and i can tell exactly where the chase is/was.

I would only use multi, unless the finish was ONLY plasteboard the i may use board finish, but im so used to multi i always use it..

Thistle is a good finish but needs low suction backgrounds. You tend to see bubbling when the area is too wet or dust. You also get it with bonding backgrounds etc

On the whole I have found that substrates that are too wet will blister/bubble.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back