first time plastering, good fun

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

First time plastering. To be honest im quite pleased. The hardest part was choos8ng the correct plaster. E.g browning. Bonding. Thistle. Mutli finish. Undercoat. Fin8sh etc etc
I ended up with some bonding coat and multi finish. I got british gypsom thistle stuff.

THis was a practice wall. The whole wall took me about an hour. The plaster started to set really quick. Also the guidence for mixing were pants, when i followed guidance it was far to thick. Second time after watching youtibe video i used my git inst8ncts as to consistency. It was brick wall. Didnt matter if looked rubbish. Most likely getting knocked down.
I also mixed pva into the mixture. Just small amount. Applied thin pva m8xture to wall aswell prior to applying plaster.

Opinions and feedback please.
Also a question. I ran out of plaster (hence why top isnt done) this has set. Should i add another coat? And would then be ready to paint?

All pics are same wall.[

Apologies for typos. All done on my mobile. (this sire not easiest to use on mobile)

All comments, feedback, criticism welcome ( remember complete novice)

Just in case there is any confusion the first pics is the finished wall, last pic is part way through, first pic is part way through. Had to get more plaster

:)[/u]

Sponsored Links
I also mixed pva into the mixture. Just small amount. Applied thin pva m8xture to wall aswell prior to applying plaster.

Opinions and feedback please.

Well done for having a go.

It looks like you started in the middle and moved outwards.
It's more usual to start at the top and work down. Some may start at the bottom, but more usual from top.

You don't need pva in the plaster mix; you're right about applying diluted pva before plastering.

Thanks diy newbie. The thing is i wasnt going to do the whole wall bit just practice little bit so thats why i started in the middle.

The reason for all this is couple walls needs plastering in main living room. My qiestion is that if im going to put lining paper over the wall and paint the paper, do i need ot make sure the wall is really smooth or can i get away woth it if it isnt.

Thanks

It still needs to be smooth - any imperfections/undulations will show up when you paper and paint. The secret is to get the undercoat layer flat, then the skim will follow nicely, in my experience. As a DIYer, I've been doing my own plastering for 30+ years, walls and ceilings. It just take plenty of practice but as in all things, the preparation (ie undercoats etc) is key to getting a good finish.

It also helps if you have someone else to knock up for you so you can just concentrate on spreading.

Sponsored Links
you have soo much too learn my friend.
from primers backing coats top coats one coats beads boards ect.
take it slow dont try to run before you can crawl.
your best bet is to try and tag along with a spread for a bit to get the hand of things.
were do you live mite be some one on here near you.
That mite take you under there wing.

If your that hell bend on learning if the room really needs skimming before you paint then get a plasterer in to do the job and say youll mix up for him to cut the cost a little bit that way you learn and you get a propper job out of it.
(you wont need lining paper)

its not a trade you can learn in 5 days at collage Dont try!!!!

all i can say keep ploding away at it youll get good one day just not today

the number one thing you need to master is preping the wall ie PVA mix ect

Please don't put lining paper on a nicely skimmed wall, it's bloody horrible stuff, speaking from a painters point of view if you do decide to skim yourself and there are any imperfections don't worry about it cos it can be fixed I repeat do not resort to lining paper

if its done by a good plasterer then NO need for lining paper nothing a bag of easy fill wont cover and good power sander

I need to do walls inside but i dont know if my skills aee good enough. As all i
Hear is that a bad job looks fine when newly plastered but once painted looks terrible
Last thing i want is to do loads and it seem ok then find wjen painting that its actually terrible.

I need to do walls inside but i dont know if my skills aee good enough. As all i
Hear is that a bad job looks fine when newly plastered but once painted looks terrible
Last thing i want is to do loads and it seem ok then find wjen painting that its actually terrible.

Read the forum, theres loads and loads of advice, info on techniques, products to use, controlling suction, which base plasters to use, tips on where to start from, im sure I posted something recently.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back