Patching outdoor rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently renovated the inside of an outbuilding to purpose it for storage and my cats to live in while I temporarily live with my Mum. There was a massive damp problem in the building, which I've tried to combat. However there is a lot of damage to the exterior render, which can't be helping keep the building damp-free. While we have better weather, I think it's times to fix it.

I've done some research only to be very confused. The garage rendering is fine on 2 walls, then on the more weather exposed, it quite patchy.

What should I be using to patch it up? My original thinking was to pull off any loose rendering, then patch it up with this: http://www.screwfix.com/p/cementone-general-purpose-mortar-5kg/36857 as it does say its suitable for rendering.

However I have read varying recommendations on using waterproofing before or after rendering... I'm a little confused about this. Ideally I'd like to make sure no damp gets back into the building! As there are bits appearing here & there.

Sponsored Links
Its not just a case of "patching" it up.It needs a lot more work than that you need to knock all the old render off put expanding metal over the cracks give it a good scutting with SBR mixed with cement and a bit of sand then scratch coat it then top coat it thenrub it up.And l expect it is only one brick thick so l would put some polystyrene backed plasterboard on the inside wall (optional).Then give the outside a good few coats of weather shield paint. If you can understand all this then all well and good, if not you must get a reputable plasterer round to give you an idea of price. ;)

Its not just a case of "patching" it up.It needs a lot more work than that you need to knock all the old render off put expanding metal over the cracks give it a good scutting with SBR mixed with cement and a bit of sand then scratch coat it then top coat it thenrub it up.And l expect it is only one brick thick so l would put some polystyrene backed plasterboard on the inside wall (optional).Then give the outside a good few coats of weather shield paint. If you can understand all this then all well and good, if not you must get a reputable plasterer round to give you an idea of price. ;)

I did say in my first post, that I planned on knocking off any loose render. I understand it's not as easy as "patching it up" however that's why I'm asking here about patching the render. It's only the grey areas on the wall where the render has come away so it's not a big job. The other walls are fine. I'm not paying a renderer/plasterer to come out for less than 2m2 of patching in render on a wall you can't even see from my house.

The internal walls have already been plaster boarded. I plan on doing it myself, hence the post in a DIY forum. I'm not stupid... Having looked on YouTube, I can cope with the ever so "hard" task of patching the render. The original question was about a suitable material to use as online recommendations from "reputable plasterers" seem to be contradictory! There doesn't seem to be an industry standard, which is often the case in the trade it seems.

Well all the best in "patching" the little areas up then.....

Sponsored Links
Hi there. Hopefully i can give you the answer your looking for. I'll start with what materials would be best to use and then without patronising you I can give you a little tip on how I would do the job. All you will need is a mix of PVA bonding and water, and a sand and cement mix with waterproofer through the mix.

Start by coating the area with the pva mix. Then give it a first coat with the sand and cement. make sure you scratch it for a good bond with the second coat. The following day you can pva the area again and give it the second coat. Use a float to get rid of all trowel marks and rub up with a sponge.

hope this helped

So - here's the situation.

I've been asked not to brand companies who come here and spam as liars, cheats and thieves. Apparently it is against the law to defame someone in that way, even if it is the truth.

So, I will limit my observations to baynie123, as it's not possible to defame someone who cannot be identified.

Firstly, when baynie123 registered, he agreed to the terms & conditions, one of which is no advertising. But he's gone and done just that, and he's done it in every post he has made. I do not believe that he had any intention of complying with the Ts'n'Cs he agreed to, but had every intention of spamming to get free advertising.

It is my understanding that "liar" is a reasonable definition of someone who knowingly makes a false statement in order to deceive.

Secondly, however small, and however hard to quantify, it does cost money to provide space and bandwidth for his posts, which have been made to further the interests of the website or company he his promoting, and for which he, or they, are not paying.

It is my understanding that "thief" is a reasonable description of someone who takes something belonging to another without their permission which causes them financial loss.

I leave it up to those reading this post what opinion they should have of a website or company which uses the services of a liar and a thief to promote itself - I may not comment.

Oh - and by the way - if you've not clicked on the link to the site then my advice would be to not do so, as it will run a number of 3rd party scripts on your PC. These may be innocuous, but as the site is associated with a proven liar and thief I would suggest that you do not take the chance.

Hi ban all sheds, I think that was a very severe post that you made there. I have made 3 posts in total containing that website name. And that's over a period of about 6 weeks. So please get your facts right before you come on making these accusations. I have put that website name on when I felt it was beneficial to the person looking for info. Completely innocently and what I thought to be harmlessly, but obviously it's rustled a few feathers (non-intentionally). I have removed this from the post and would appreciate it if you would do the same with your severe and inappropriate post!

As for the info you have given it would not stop the damp getting thru as you have not addressed the cracks that are causing the problems!!!

That could be because they aren't asking anything about cracks. They are asking about the best way to patch up render. Why does everyone try to dig at each other on here?

Hi ban all sheds, I think that was a very severe post that you made there. I have made 3 posts in total containing that website name.
It was 4, actually, but some have now been removed.

And that's over a period of about 6 weeks. So please get your facts right before you come on making these accusations.
OK - here are the facts.

1) Every single one of your posts was promoting that website.

2) You began promoting it on the same day you joined, i.e. you registered and immediately began spamming.

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

That could be because they aren't asking anything about cracks. They are asking about the best way to patch up render. Why does everyone try to dig at each other on here?
Its not a matter of "digging at each other on here" but if someone asks a question and we can see that by just "patching" something up isn't going to stop water coming thru as the cracks haven't been addressed then we tell then the right way to solve the problem. Your way is telling them to "patch " over it , which is not going to solve their problem as the cracks will soon come back!!!

Hi there. Hopefully i can give you the answer your looking for. I'll start with what materials would be best to use and then without patronising you I can give you a little tip on how I would do the job. All you will need is a mix of PVA bonding and water, and a sand and cement mix with waterproofer through the mix.

Start by coating the area with the pva mix. Then give it a first coat with the sand and cement. make sure you scratch it for a good bond with the second coat. The following day you can pva the area again and give it the second coat. Use a float to get rid of all trowel marks and rub up with a sponge.

hope this helped

I'm not sure what all the other stuff about links etc is about, but don't use PVA for any external work; or areas that may have damp issues.

hope this helped

I'm not sure what all the other stuff about links etc is about, but don't use PVA for any external work; or areas that may have damp issues.

Should it be coated with anything before adding further render?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back