Patching plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure this has probaably been asked before but i've not really got time to search the threads, I'm doing some work in the spare bedroom, some places all the plaster has come off, and in others just the scim, i've done some bits of plastering before but am no expert. i've recently been told by a builder friend that the modern plasters are so much easier to work, but i'm having the same problem i've had in the past where the new plaster dries out to quickly where it touches the old, and i then struggle to get things smooth, i do pva the walls and old plaster first, but am i using enough pva or does it need more than one coat, how strong should the pva mix be. Thanks for your help, was hoping to get the job sorted this weekend, just hope someone is on-line and your not all out enjoying the lovely weather. Andy

Sponsored Links
andyandy2 said:
I'm sure this has probaably been asked before but i've not really got time to search the threads,

I havent got the time to give you a good reply :rolleyes:

for high suction backgrounds, several weak coats of pva are better than one strong one. 5:1 is about right.

deep patches of plaster are better filled with a backing coat first, like thistle bonding or browning. this can be skimmed up later.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, Breezer what i meant was that i was in the middle of plastering and hoped someone could give me a quick answer, before i scrapped it all of the wall, Noseall i think that my pva solution was far to weak, so will try again tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back