Patching up bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Wondering if I can seek some advise wrt wall prep in bathroom.

Ive got:

one external wall back to brick - this is going to be lined with Marmox to keep BC happy
one internal wall back to brick - this is going to be dot and dabbed to straighten the wall out for the shower. Tile backer board for the shower area
one internal and external wall that is bonding/skim coat - It was tiled and the tiles have taken the skim coat off when I've removed them, so bottom 3rd (below bath) is skim, middle 3rd is bonding (good condition with a few patches back to brick where pipes were chased or my chisel went in a bit deep), top 3rd is skim/paint.

I'm planning on tiling up to about 1.5m so the top part of the wall (2.6m ceiling) will be painted so I need to basically reskim the two patchy walls and was wondering whats best way to fill any holes out ready for a final skim coat.

Would I be OK just wetting the bonding (making sure its not too absorbent), and treating the existing bare skim/painted skim with 2 coats PVA before applying the finish?

Sponsored Links
Yes, and use bonding coat or any other backing plaster you’ve got to fill the deeper bits
Pva the old bonding too or it’ll be extremely high suction on your skim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back