100 yr old house...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
stripped a wall back to brick to be re-plastered, partly for tiling and partly for painting (bathroom). Yellow soft brick construction with I presume lime mortar.

have had a quote for a render finish followed by a skim with the idea that it's stronger than plaster, hardwall or bonding. My worry though is that it'll be too strong for the underlying wall.

Ideally, should an old wall (no issues of damp etc) have a render internal prep for skim or hardwall/bonding?

Sponsored Links
no takers then?

I've had and read conflicting reports on what to do...expert advice sought :)

no takers then?

I've had and read conflicting reports on what to do...expert advice sought :)
render is a better choice for a bathroom because hardwall or bonding do not like moisture if it was my bathroom i would go with render and skim and not worry to much about anything else

Sponsored Links
Better off with plasterboard and Aquapanel in my opinion.

With render, you have to wait too long for the wall to dry out. The walls will be icy cold and you'll get loads of condensation, and unless the guy is very very good (unusual) your walls won't be flat enough for tiling.
If you want it to look like a tile showroom - then plasterboard it. It will be flatter, less cold, less condensation.

When you want to change the tiles you simply rip it all off and re-do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back