Replastering old walls

GNC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are refurbishing our recently bought mid terraced house in London. We started to remove the wall paper to redecorate the property and a lot of the old plaster started to also come off the wall. In the end we decided to strip the property back to bare walls as well as removed the old lath and plaster ceiling.

I am not sure what type of plaster/render is required for the walls. The internal walls are constructed of bricks with wooden panelling.

I was planning to initially have the walls rendered with sand & cement mix and then finish off with skimming using multi finish. There has previously been damp problem in the property so we will also be adding a waterproof mix to the render.

Is this ok? I have read that old walls are constructed using lime plaster and this should be used to replaster the walls. I am not sure whether these are lime plaster walls and whether it really makes much difference.

thanks in advance.
GNC

Sponsored Links
I am not sure what type of plaster/render is required for the walls. The internal walls are constructed of bricks with wooden panelling.

As no-one posted yet, I'll start the ball rolling for you.
Not quite sure what you mean for the walls. You say there is an undercoat plaster - Is it lath&plaster or more solid wood with a coat on top? Or even plaster with wood panels on top.
Maybe some pics would help.

I was planning to initially have the walls rendered with sand & cement mix and then finish off with skimming using multi finish. There has previously been damp problem in the property so we will also be adding a waterproof mix to the render.

Is this ok? I have read that old walls are constructed using lime plaster and this should be used to replaster the walls.
GNC

I had thought the advantage of lime plaster was that it was breathable and therefore allowed the walls to breath. Important if you have older style walls rather than a standard cavity wall.
If they are standard cavity walls, I'd have thought the render would be ok.
Pros - please correct me if I'm wrong ;)

Hi

Many thanks for the response. The walls have been taken back to bare bricks. I have uploaded a few images. Just wanted to know if standard sand and cement mix would be ok for this job or do I need lime plaster?

Thanks
GNC

Hi

Many thanks for the response. The walls have been taken back to bare bricks. I have uploaded a few images. Just wanted to know if standard sand and cement mix would be ok for this job or do I need lime plaster?

Thanks
GNC
looks like cement render would be fine you could also put eml over the wood to minimise cracking

Sponsored Links
agree! definitely EML on those timbers, i'd give them a good coat of PVA first too to seal them up

Another way which will not let ir crack would be to attach plasterboard strips over the timbers making sure they are wider than the timber and then render inbetween the plasterboard strips and skim over the lot.

i certainly prefer to cover timber completely with plasterboard myself but only if i can then get a good layer of undercoat plaster on top of it, so often use 9.5mm board, that way i don't have joints of differing materials which may still cause hairline cracks, all depends on how much depth you have to play with though and if you do it johns way then scrim all joints before skimming, i suspect all the architraves will have to come off looking at the pics so the door liners could be made wider to rule a decent thickness of float coat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back