Patching walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The plaster has come away form a wall of mine, it now need replastering. Thing is that there are several holes revealed between the bricks where either bricks have been ommitted or they haven't bothered with enough mortar, so that I could do with filling them as it is a wall which will have loads of fixings driven into it. What should I use? I'm not talking brick sized holes but maybe one third brick sized at the worst. I'm bound to drill through the plaster straight into one and make a mess of things!

Many thanks

JD

Sponsored Links
fill all holes with sand+cement and I would personally then lay on a render coat of the same stuff, scratch coat + level top coat and skim with multifinish. or you could use a backing plaster eg. browing/hardwall as your backing coat this will give a warmer wall than sand+cement less condensation. if you dont want to do the backing plasterwork you could stick plasterboards on but again fill the holes with sand+cement first.

Many thanks for the advice Sam. Unfortunately I had to get this done and not knowing what to use I ended up using a ready mixed bag of mortar. Hopefully it'll be up to the job, I made a fairly dry mix.

JD

For future reference what mix of sand and cement would you have used?

Sponsored Links
4:1+plasticiser for the rendering, I would use mix of sharp+soft sand
4:1 or 3:1 soft sand if your just doing the pointing, 3:1 if its big holes

just a guideline depends on type of wall, surrounding work, thickness of coat. cheers sam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back