patchy dimply matt coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have had a room walls repleastered. They were left to dry and then 2 mist coats of emulsion painted on top - each time they were sanded down . Now i can not get an even coverage of matt paint. The top layer looks dimply and shiny in places. I have used a roller and followed countless videos on how to roller a wall but still they look awful!! I am using Dulux Endurance Matt paint with a Hamilton Vantage smooth and textured roller. Is my paint too thin/thick. Please help - I am sending my family insane - not to mention the cost of paint etc!!! :(

Sponsored Links
Oh dear i have just tried to take pic but the light is not showing what i mean. It looks like an outside of an orange !! I am wondering if i have oversanded, paint to thick just don't know! What i do know is that i am fed up and feel i am never going to finish this room :cry:

Sponsored Links
I am using the Hamilton Vantage smooth and textured roller. I was told this is the best roller to use. I also bought the harris roller which appears to be less fluffy but that was worse. Any advice is my paint too/thick thin. Do i need to sand walls down?
Regards

Most rollers give a slight "orange peel" finish, it often smooths out a bit after a couple of coats. A photo would help try taking a picture of a side wall with the light from the window hitting it at a 90 degree angle and turn off any flash.

Oh and turn off the heating in the room and open a window to give a slightly longer drying time.

Thanks footprints have attempted to take a pic but it is not showing up well because i think of colour of paint. There is no heating on at moment in that room but the paint was drying really quickly (Dulux Endurance). My family are saying i am fussing too much but that's me :rolleyes: Are you able to tell me what consistency the paint should be runny, very runny, ploppy thick :oops: (can't think of another way to put it)
Thanks

As I recall Endurance like most paints is fairly Ploppy :D usually after stirring it gets more runny and easier to pour.

I tend to use trade paints mostly that normally advise stirring before use, I have come across some DIY paints that say do not stir but as a rule most paints do require it. On a DIY paint I would not expect it to need any thinning.

It is easy to get paranoid about the finish because you are working with your nose a few inches away and any defect is "in your face" I have agonised about a poor join or pattern defect on wall paper but no one else ever notices it and after a time neither do I ;)

I am using the Hamilton Vantage smooth and textured roller. I was told this is the best roller to use. I also bought the harris roller which appears to be less fluffy but that was worse. Any advice is my paint too/thick thin. Do i need to sand walls down?
Regards
Told in a diy " shed "? .I looked @ the hamilton roller and it appears it holds a lot of paint for quick application - maybe you are going too slow - hence the paint drying fast , on your " wet edge" . Harris kit- No comment. Best/easiest results I`ve had are with a Purdy medium pile roller sleeve and Crown emulsion - from a trade paint outlet . I would suggest a better roller sleeve and thin the paint a tad - for you.And lightly sand the walls. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back