patio doors with low threshold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My wife suffers from a bad back so the plan is to install patio doors which will open onto a small seating area with a ramp to give access to our patio - in place of the current door and high steps. Our hope is to future proof so that wheelchair access is possible.

To maximise space we had planned on sliding doors but I have been told tonight these are not available with low door thresholds (although I have seen web sites saying they can be provided, unfortunately without pictures). He has advised the use of French doors.
Is what I am asking for unusual? (Some posts on here suggest it's possible but unfortunately I am not technically minded enough to fully follow what's needed).

We were also advised that grade A doors were negligibly better than the grade C alternative but cost quite a bit more. My instinct says the additional real cost should be minimal and that I should go for the higher spec if possible.
Any thoughts? Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
I suspect you will struggle in upvc, but aluminium or timber or a combination of the two no problem, though they will come at a cost. Do you have a upvc budget or deeper pockets?

Thank you for the reply Freddie. You're either up late or early!

Maybe I have been talking to the wrong people. No-one has offered anything other than UPVC, or said it would be unsuitable until last night.

Naturally I only want to do this once so the 'right solution' is the priority although cost is obviously a factor.
(I have only asked local companies that have been recommended to supply the windows although I still don't have a complete quote yet)

Think you may struggle with a upvc patio. What about bi folds

Sponsored Links
If you can afford it aluminum would be your best bet for a sliding door (about 3 times the price).

Otherwise PVC with low aluminum threshold. If the door is opening out you should be able to get a nice flush threshold but some bricks may need to be cut so make sure you get something in writing that the threshold will be flush with the floor.

If they are to open in expect a small lip of 10-15mm.

What's the width of the proposed door? Anything under 1600mm wide on a patio and you may struggle to get a wheelchair through.

Thank you to all for your interest.
After yesterday's news I receive 2 verbal quotes for sliding patio doors and both say they will supply with a low threshold.
Both are from local suppliers. One says he will use Duraflex and the other manufactures his own windows using the SWISH profile (if I understand correctly)

The duraflex web site shows a diagram with a threshold of 27mm and too short ramps, assuming I read it right. The threshold is aluminium I think.
I don't have a picture of the other system.

Re: Bifolds - When I started I assumed these would protrude from the wall, be more complex and hence cost more so never really considered them. Now that the sliding door option is available again I'd like to stay with that unledd there is some overriding advantage.

The width of the window being replaced is 3.8m. The idea is to have 2 fixed lights and sliding doors in the middle so it should be wide enough for access.

Is there anything anyone recommends that I consider before going with one of the above options?

Thanks again,
Pete

thanks to all
just an update to say we have now installed low threshold sliding patio doors and are very pleased. At least it shows they can be bought in case anyone else receives conflicting advice.
I believe the 'low threshold kit' is expensive and 'unfinished' for what it is though.

In hindight if it were possible I would alway go for low threshold doors for access to the house in future. I would consider the additional cost as insurance against possible future infirmity. To be worthwhile you'd need to consider the DPC and other access issues such as steps........

Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back