Patio sub base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I’m going to be laying porcelain paving in my new build garden shortly. At the moment the garden is just the soil that was dumped and levelled out by the builder after construction was complete.

I had a new build previously and last time when I did the garden I dug out back to the clay which was approx 300mm down and then filled with type 1.

My question is do I need to dig out all the soil back to the clay again or can I just dig say 150mm out and then compact type 1 on top. I live in SE England and type 1 is about £50 a ton so looking to keep costs down if I can but don’t want my patio sinking. All the info online seems to point towards only needing 100-200 sub base for a patio but I’m not sure on laying type 1 over top soil.

Thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
Hi Paul

Personally I would dig down to decent soil however that may be to clay

I’m in north east and everything is clay up here even the houses sit on clay !

I think you will regret trying to cut corners not that I think you are as your asking the question but prep is the key … I do appreciate keeeping cost down etc and time is precious

Type one is about the same price here and it is a decent sub base when compressed. I’m actually going to be starting a shed / summer house build this year … I bc will be using a bit of a mixture for my base

I would like on fb to see if anyone is giving away and type 1 after a build or any hard core or bricks etc for free it should save you a decent amount doing it that way. I’m using bits of brick rubble for mine and also type 1

The idea of the sun base is to have a firm level that doesn’t Sink when. You stand on it.

Hope this helps
Jake

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back