Pattress box problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a 1930's flat block, it's a concrete frame, internal walls are cinder block and external walls are cavity wall using odd, very narrow bricks- I've never seen them anywhere else.

The bricks are VERY fragile, and in contrast the plaster is very, very strong- you can't get a nail into it.

Cutting the holes into the wall to fit the pattress boxes revealed that there's nothing to really attach them to:

IMG_20140526_101629156.jpg

IMG_20140526_101636782.jpg

IMG_20140526_101657234.jpg

IMG_20140526_101710610.jpg

What's the best way of doing this?

(And if anyone knows how to make my images display that'd be great too!)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I would recommend that you placed some timber noggins within the cavity void, fixed this to the internal skin via drilling through wall and screw fixing, allowing for a recess if needed in the timber for backboxes to be attached to.
Out of interest, I see a cable entering each socket box from above, are these two sockets also connected horizontally? I am trying to figure out if you have joined cables within void.
Also additional socket outlets, require 30mA RCD protection does this exist on the socket circuit?

You shouldn't really do this if this is the cavity you're breaking into, but:

1. squirt round the outline of the hole with squirty foam. this is to stop your plaster disappearing into the cavity, allow foam to harden.
2. fill the hole with plaster and bed your box into it. support box with a batten until plaster hard.

The sockets connect to each other- there is no cable join within the wall, what's happening there is the wire comes into one, goes into the next, then comes out to go along to the next socket- it's a radial circuit.

And yes, RCD protected.

Timber noggins sounds straightforward.

In the flikr photo it looks like theres a white pipe between the two metal boxes.
Though agree would be better not having to hunt the pics

Out of interest, I see a cable entering each socket box from above, are these two sockets also connected horizontally? I am trying to figure out if you have joined cables within void.
Also additional socket outlets, require 30mA RCD protection does this exist on the socket circuit?

Joke ref garage post/
A question about wire routing or RCD protection was not asked.
/Joke ref garage post

Joke ref garage post/ A question about wire routing or RCD protection was not asked. /Joke ref garage post
:)

However, if you mean the very recent post, the OP was proposing to install an RCD garage CU, so the new sockets would be RCD protected (even if the existing feed to the garage was not).

Kind Regards, John

Joke ref garage post/
A question about wire routing or RCD protection was not asked.
/Joke ref garage post

I was wondering if the best consumer unit to get is 40A 30mA RCD. Would a 30amp supply be ok for this consumer unit?............

Also is it ok for 2x fluorescent lights to run of the rcd?

The OP seemed to suggest that RCD protection would be installed, so if you write your own jokes, I suggest you find someone to compose them for you and get the material right. I hear Brucie may have some free time coming up ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back