Paving slabs (for hearth) ended up lifting. How to fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's next week before I can get in touch with the guy who did the job so I'm just asking here in the meantime.

Basically in February we had a multi fuel stove fitted. The hearth is black limestone flags.

I've come to paint up the living room & so covered everything, including the hearth, obviously.

Now i don't know how it's happened. If I or my wife has ended up standing in a bad spot on the hearth but one of the flags has lifted...

Photo 22-05-2016, 7 56 12 pm.jpg

If i stand back on it it doesn't go down any. If i stand on the face edge then it does seem to lift it a bit more.

The bed underneath the left flag is quite solid, but underneath the lifted flag it's set, but doesn't feel rock solid like under the left side. Plus it's cracked more. Whether this has any negative effects I've no idea, i just thought i'd point it out.

Photo 22-05-2016, 7 56 32 pm.jpg

Photo 22-05-2016, 7 59 52 pm.jpg

I'm just wondering what they should be doing to put this right?

I'm guessing lift flag off, knock off all the cement on the underside & the joints to the left & rear flag.

As for the bed ... i've no idea.

And then somehow re-fit while aiming to get it level.

Is it literally as simple as that?

Like i say, it was fitted in February but the ends of the floorboards you can see are a little damp. Surely it shouldn't still be like that? I can understand it being damp to begin with due to the water in the cement mix, but 3 months on?

And it can't be coming from the underside because we had the floor renewed in December, including joists & DPC was laid across the top of the joists around this area specifically.

Sponsored Links
Measured up today.

The joints on our flags are quite thin, especially compared to my mothers.

Contributing factor?

Our hearth...
Photo 24-05-2016, 2 01 10 pm.jpg

Between front right & the rear flag....
Photo 24-05-2016, 2 01 52 pm.jpg

Between front 2 flags...
Photo 24-05-2016, 2 02 17 pm.jpg

Then compared to my mothers....... (joint between her front 2 flags)
Photo 24-05-2016, 2 44 06 pm.jpg

Photo 24-05-2016, 2 44 30 pm.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back