Peelng paint - what do I do? Pic included

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have recently started to paint my whole flat without any problems on the walls, except for one.

In a small area, when I started rolling the paint started to blister. So I thought I'd let it dry and see if the bubbling would disappear. What has happened is the layer of paint started to come away from the wall, so I decided to scrape it off and paint over.

It looks a bit crap and I want to get it looking good. I also don't want the peeling paint problem to come back! Should I slightly fill this area so that it level with the rest of the wall?

The wall that the peeling is happening had the same old paint as the rest of the flat, so don't know why its happening in this one small place.

DSC00154.jpg

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I personally would have filled the surface first and given it a couple of coats of white matt then finished with the final topcoat. I also would not use and own brand from anyone in emulsion. For the couple of pounds saved its not worth it.

Sponsored Links
I have used this brand of paint before on a number of occasions and it has been fine.

Anyway, I have finished one coat of this paint all over and it is only at this small place where this problem has occurred, so I would say it has something to do with the previous surface, however I don't know how to go about getting this surface back to a good condition.

Could be effloresence, hard to tell

The usual cause is when the coat underneath yours was painted over polyfiller that was powdery and the paint wasn't thinned. It doesn't adhere to the wall properly so when you paint it - it just pulls away. Same principle as using a board with flour on it when making bread - it stops the dough from sticking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back