Peeling paint disaster

The worse thing ive seen with coving is a builder who fixed a whole 3 bedroom bungalows coving with....wait for it.....

SILICONE!!! (the builders friend!)....he was your typical 'anyone can....paint plaster fix kitchens....do electrics, plum etc.....you know the type!

Sponsored Links
Papergirl...you might benefit from taking a look at the Zinsser products to tie back that powdery ceiling, various of the products will do the job...my new favourite at the moment is a product called Gardz. It penetrates through water based products and binds them up if there is a problem somewhere in the equation...including distemper. I'm a bit of a walking advert for Zinsser because their products have saved my a** and my bank balance so many times.
Cait

It may well be a case of unsealed artex :eek: , as i have heard now the builders did not have a very good reputation. :rolleyes: But to be honest I did not have a reason to think this was a case as the other 2 rooms were fine. Plus I did not know at the time the place in question had not been decorated since new build. I am now paranoid :( and have a phobia about ceilings. In future I will be finding out more history. :!:

papergirl said:
It may well be a case of unsealed artex :eek: , as i have heard now the builders did not have a very good reputation. :rolleyes: But to be honest I did not have a reason to think this was a case as the other 2 rooms were fine. Plus I did not know at the time the place in question had not been decorated since new build. I am now paranoid :( and have a phobia about ceilings. In future I will be finding out more history. :!:
It's not that rare to find a bare Artex ceiling I have to look twice sometimes as I can't believe that a 20 yr old house still has the original bare artex (clean living people, no smoking, diy'ers afraid to touch em ;) etc). A good way to check before you start is to hold a wet sponge onto the artex for a little while see if it soaks in then after a few minutes see if the artex has soften'd by lightly smoothing with a finger if it feels like you could easily scrape it off then its bare. If the water wont soak in strait away and leaves droplets on the surface it's probly painted.
If you do have to mist coat on bare artex it will soften the artex be carefull that mist coat has dried and the artex is hard again :!: bfore 2nd coat.
good luck.

Sponsored Links
Dear confidentincompetent
Thanks for the tip, :!: after the ceiling I had an outside block of toilets to do :cry: . After checking, sure enougth the ceiling there had not been sealed either :mad: . I saved myself a whole lot of extra bother with one simple check. :LOL: Nice One ;)

well done. Glad it helped simple when you know how innit ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back