How to paint over peeling paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm planning to paint my sons bedroom but there are a couple of areas the paint has peeled off.

We had the room skimmed about 8 years ago, sealed it with 50/50 mix and painted with silk emulsion. 2 off the walls have no peeling. There are no signs of damp, one of the walls is external the other internal.

Please see the attached pictures.

The peeling is worse now as my son has picked it!

Which of these options is the best approach before painting again?

1. Strip the paint back, completely off the wall
2. sand the edges of the peeled paint area to make sure its sound. Wash down and paint.
3. Apply a product that is supposed to smooth the surface
4. Wash it down and just paint.

Any advice please?

Attachments

• image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 248
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 276
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 259
Sponsored Links
its up to you. You could just lightly sand back to sound paint, but the patches will probably show through.

Exactly the same situation here. We have a wall that we want to repaint, but there were some large vinyl stickers on it. When we removed them, it has pulled off some of the paint (which is blue) to reveal white paint underneath.

We have a leftover tin of the original paint, so I was thinking about sanding back the edges of the holes, then filling them in with the original paint. Then sand back again to a smooth finish before painting the whole wall with our new colour. I'm hoping this will avoid having the white patches show through the new paint, which will be quite a light shade.

Any thoughts?

In the end I filled the smaller areas that had peeled off and painted the larger areas with stain block. Lightly sanded all the walls and painted.

It all looks good now, you can't see the areas filled or painted with stain block.

Only time will tell whether it peels again!

Sponsored Links
I was thinking about sanding back the edges of the holes, then filling them in with the original paint. Then sand back again to a smooth finish before painting the whole wall with our new colour. I'm hoping this will avoid having the white patches show through the new paint, which will be quite a light shade.

Any thoughts?

You won't be able to "feather" emulsion. If you try you will probably end up digging in to the plaster (which is softer than the emulsion).

You could use a soft filler like Red Devil to fill the areas and then gently sand it with 180 grit silicone carbide paper, and then paint over it.

I have done it loads of times and it works. The only caveat is that the filler will always be softer than the paint. If that is an issue then consider a harder filler such as Toupret TX110.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back