paint keeps peeling off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the paint on my stair hand rail keeps peeling off.

it was originally varnished wood.

attempt 1: the previous owner painted it over with water-based paint. it started peeling off within a few months.

attempt 2: sanded and cleaned it back to the wood and painted it again with water-based paint. only to find it peeling off again within months. :(

attempt 3: stripped it back to the wood with paint stripper, then white spirit, then sugar soap to clean it before sanding down to the wood ready for fresh painting with an undercoat. this time used oil-based undercoat and then water-based top coat. it was peeling off again within a few months. :(

attempt 4: removed the water-based top coat back to the oil-based undercoat, cleaned it, and repainted with oil-based gloss top coat... but it's still peeling off again. :(

have you got any new ideas / tips for me to try before i remove the stairs and fit a rope and pulley system instead? ;)

thanks for your help.
:) :?:

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it must be holding in a wax or oil, but then you've tried all the cleaning and prep method :LOL:

Zin 123 bulls Eye plus sounds like a decent next attempt.

Sounds like it must be holding in a wax or oil, but then you've tried all the cleaning and prep method :LOL:

Zin 123 bulls Eye plus sounds like a decent next attempt.

thanks for your help. i've just painted with Zinsser BIN Primer Sealer & Stain Killer. fingers crossed that will do the trick this time.
;)

Sponsored Links
after 6 months the paint is not peeling off or showing any signs of wear. Zinsser BIN Primer Sealer & Stain Killer did the trick, so highly recommended by me! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back