Paint not sticking on banisters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Painted a banister handrail but the paint (satinwood) doesnt seem to stick in some places. By this, i mean, a light rub and the paint seems to peel away. However, most of the rail seems fine. I gave it two undercoats (water based) and two top coats (oil based).

Any ideas why its peeling / chipping away in some places and what i can do to resolve?

Sponsored Links
what did you paint onto, paint, wood?

did you sand it, clean it before you painted?

Painted onto wood. It was sanded down and cleaned.

I used a roller rather than a brush to paint the satin. Not sure if makes a difference.

hmm odd, what paint did you use?

i would always use wood primer on bare wood.

did the undercoat say it could be painted onto bare wood?

also, is the paint coming off the wood or the top coat off the undercoat?

Sponsored Links
It was dulux undercoat and primer water base with dulux oil based top coat. The under and top coat are coming off.

as the banisters was bare wood, it prob had years and years of dirt and grease in the wood, which the paint hasnt stuck to.

did you give it a good sand or a rough sand over?

Water based primer is only good on bare wood. Previously varnished needs oil undercoat.

It could be that the natural oils from within the wood are escaping because you used a water based primer.

Are the areas which are peeling in the shape of circles? like the knotts within the wood?

If this is the case then you should once again sand right back to the bare wood and apply knotting to the knots. This will seal the knots and prevent the peeling.

Alternatively you could try sanding it all, applying one coat of Zinser stain block and then applying your gloss again.

Let me know how you get on

Mike

Ive also been trying to stain / dye part of the banister - which is causing another headache.

Im not sure which type of wood it is (maple) i think. Its close grained and it goes a orangey colour when water is applied to it.

When i apply a water stain or dye, the colour looks very dark but it also has a strong orange undertone / grain coming through. The aim was to stain dye and top coat with varnish.

Any ideas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back