Repainting old banister which is part wood part old paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Wanted to paint the banister (and balusters) in satinwood grey, but at the moment not sure how to prep as part of the rail is the old paint, and other parts is the wood (see pic). Should I just sand down the paint, use a primer, and then the satinwood?

Thanks

Screenshot_20200323-131154.png

Sponsored Links
Yes, tons of prep will save trying to do loads of top coats to hide the lazy prep

That handrail is begging to be cleaned properly and stained/varnished

Thanks, but what prep should I do? On other parts there is no wood showing, so don't want to sand all the paint off just to paint again.

Sand it back so that nothing is dirty or shiny.
Your hands ate the best way of finding any rough parts or changes in texture.
Clean before painting to remove any dirt from hands.

You can get scotchbrite type pads in varying grades that will abrade the old surface

Sponsored Links
Invest in one of these from screwfix :-

https://www.screwfix.com/p/harris-heavy-duty-tungsten-carbide-wood-scraper-2/45940

Probably one of the best tenners I've ever spent, you will take it down tert wood in one hit for the most part, the vast majority of this was done with that tool and if I didn't have it I'd have lost my marbles The pic that shows the scraper, that handrail was painted in white and god knows how many other years of paint, that is without sanding.

scraper.jpg stairs1.png stairs2.jpg stairs3.jpg

You need to sand more. A lot more. You will never get a good finish if you paint on the basis of the photo you have posted.

Invest in one of these from screwfix :-

https://www.screwfix.com/p/harris-heavy-duty-tungsten-carbide-wood-scraper-2/45940

Probably one of the best tenners I've ever spent, you will take it down tert wood in one hit for the most part, the vast majority of this was done with that tool and if I didn't have it I'd have lost my marbles The pic that shows the scraper, that handrail was painted in white and god knows how many other years of paint, that is without sanding.

View attachment 189152 View attachment 189153 View attachment 189154 View attachment 189155

Hi Dion,

Thanks for the wood-scraper recommendation; I'd like to enquire about the results you achieved.

Did you get the above outcome with any help e.g a chemical paint stripper or a heat gun? Or was this achieved through a combination of the wood-scraper and your own labor?

Thanks in advance!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back