Protect paint on banister

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently spent about 3 weeks of evenings and weekends painting my banister. It was a dark varnish and is now gloss white spindles and skirting with gloss blue/grey rail.

I dutifully rubbed it down, primered it, put two coats of undercoat and two coats of oil based gloss top coat. But my girlfriend wears rings and has already left a mark in the rail :(

Is there anything I can use to protect the rail? Like how we wax our cars?

Many thanks,

Adrian

Sponsored Links
I would say, in this case, a good old fashioned severe telling off is the best answer. Anyone who has the nerve to wear rings should have the decency to be careful at all times not to damage things.

The paint will probably be tougher once it has cured properly in several weeks' time. Until then, you could wrap it up in something protective such as your gf's clothes. Then it's her clothes which will get ripped or scratched rather than your beautiful bannister.

Or forbid her from using the stairs for a few weeks.

Sponsored Links
I would say, in this case, a good old fashioned severe telling off is the best answer. Anyone who has the nerve to wear rings should have the decency to be careful at all times not to damage things.
particularly if they are real diamonds - killers to bathroom mirrors ( and most glass) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back