Painting a banister

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a friend/client who wants me to paint three runs of banister, all with complex spindles similar to these:-
134000_133710_25047_54855160_thumb.jpg

He wants primer, u/c, gloss. It looks like a nightmare. How do the professionals get the job done?

I've thought about a painter's mitt for the round parts of the spindles but can't believe it would achieve an acceptable finish for the gloss coat. Would a mitt work if I steer him toward an eggshell final coat?
134000_133710_25046_34864793_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would in the norm recomend a 4" roller useing a brush for cutting in only, however seeing your pics I am of the opinion that the design of these spindles are rather two complex for this.

I have never used the mitt, so could'nt comment on it's capability. So brushwork may be your only option.

You say in your post primer, undercoat, and gloss. So I assume these spindles are unpainted, if by any chance they are pre-painted do not apply a primer.

Dec.

your reservations about the "mitt" are well founded. At best it will allow you to apply the paint quickly before then brushing out, using your other (clean) hand.

Will the spindles be in situ or can you remove them and put screws in the ends so that you can place them between supports? easier to paint them that way. You turn them rather than leaning over the hand rail.

Alternatively you could spray them with hvlp but you will need to devote a lot of time to sheeting up. I have sprayed gloss on in situ spindles once and it was a sticky mess. Acid cat would be better in many respects.

Many thanks to "opps" and "Dec" for the responses. Naturally neither have improved my confidence any but at least you've confirmed my instincts were correct.

To answer your questions, the banisters are insitu and complete (glued and nailed) so turning the spindles isn't really an option. The wood hasn't yet been treated, so primer would be required.

Sponsored Links
Hi Malshep

I would opt for acrylic primer. There will be grain swell but i doubt that the spindles are perfect anyway.

After use 180g silicone carbide paper and webrax pads to sand them back before topcoating.

Bizarrely i would recommend a crap primer like Leylands own brand. The dulux acrylic is much better but a mare to sand back

If you get the Leyland from selco on special it will be about 80% cheaper than the dulux primer.

I use a 1" purdy to paint them. Possibly the only time that i use the 1" brushes from the multipack boxes, I do the rounds first (all sides), from the bottom up. that way i am less likely to rub against the wet paint when leaning over the handrail.

Finish with dulux trade oil based gloss and add owatrol to it as you will be working slowly and need to maintain a wet egde.

The mitts are better suited to the thin iron railings.

Good luck

Ps As you are glossing I would recommend a coat or two of dulux trade oil based u/c as well to help with gap filling.

Eggshell would not require the u/c and will be much easier to work with, due to wet edges etc.

steer clear of the dulux retail paints- they are crap- buy the trade stuff and remember that oil based paints take longer to dry as of the start of 2010.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back