Penetration or condensation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im having a bit of a disagreement with my builder over what he says is condensation but Im fairly sure is penetrative damp.

We have a 1960s block and brick walled chalet bungalow which originally had single glazed wooden windows throughout. We replaced the ones on the southwest elevation with UPVC double glazed units. The ones on the northeast side were mostly not replaced because a large conservatory had been built over them although that has now been removed. The windows were in good condition when replaced and were only replaced due to the heating costs.
Almost immediately we started to get severe localised damp in the bottom corner of all the replaced window reveals. In some cases where the rooms are double aspect we have damp on the new SW facing windows and none on the single glazed NE wooden units. Before someone asks we have no trickle vents on the new windows – but there were none on the old ones either. All wet rooms, tumble drier etc are extracted to outside.

My logic for thinking this is penetrative damp not condensation is as follows
• I would expect to see condensation first on the colder northeast facing single glazed units and there is none
• With severe condensation you would notice visible moisture on the inside of the windows and there is none
• Over the last few days where the wind and rain have been most intense the corners have become wet to the touch. The windows sills outside had water puddling on them but don’t appear to be canted back towards the house. Ive been taking moisture readings from the top and bottom of the window reveals and the top has remained constant whereas the bottom has rocketed.
I have noticed that the silicon sealant around the frames has shrunk back in the bottom 1/3 of the windows leaving a small gap. There are two new windows that don’t have the sealant shrunk back they also are the only two which don’t have damp reveals but they also are the only which are sheltered from the prevailing wind on the NE side . My thought is that water from the sills is being blown either under or around the frame and the window will need removing to reseal properly.
We are looking to replace all the single glazed units but I would rather get the damp issues on the existing windows sorted first.
When I raised the issue with the builder who fitted them he said that in no way could it be the frame seals leaking and trickle vents would solve it. I dont want to fit trickle vents, redo the window reveals and decorate to find that later the windows are still leaking.
sorry about the long post but wanted to include the detail :oops: .

Sponsored Links
Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:24 pm
It's possible that when the rain drives in it hits the lip on the back of the sill and then makes its way to the ends, if silicone hasn't be applied at least to the end of the sill before the window sits on it, that rain will penetrate through. A lot worse if you have solid walls with no cavity, see the pic, you'll see that if there's no sealant, driving rain will gradually soak into the brick/stone work.

Common problem this time of year, I've mentioned this on a few other posts in the last week

Thanks. That looks like it could be it DHFrames. Which will mean frames out to fix . I know Im going to have an arguement on my hands as he doesnt want to do that.

Most builder don't know they need to seal the cills at all, and there are still alot of window fitters out there that don't seal the ends of the cills :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I just thought l would have a closer look at one of the leaky windows and found a section of the 'pointing' underneath the sill is just a skim over a load of expanding foam.You can see the gap in the frame silicon in the other image. I also found he had got sealant all up the wall and dumped all his leftovers behind a water butt as well. :rolleyes: I think I might get someone else in for the rest of the windows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back