Pensions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone knowledgeable on these?

I went into my bank a little while ago to talk about savings accounts, ended up being taken on a winding road, and ended up being given information on insurances and pensions and the time ran out before anything on savings accounts!

Anyway, thing was he crunched some numbers and reckoned I needed to be putting £200 a month into a pension... now that sounds an awful lot considering I'm only 22!

Anyway, I got thinking, I don't think any of my grandparents made it to 70 (certainly 3 didn't and the last one... probably not by much), and my own mother didn't even make it to 50! , so I'm more than a little hesitant that I might just be wasting my money!

Sponsored Links
It will soon be mandatory to put money into pensions, start now and you'll be glad in 60 years time, life expectancy grows by the day. You can't rely on the goverment anymore and pension contributions are non taxable.

put nothing away now, have a sh*t life later because you have no money.

Put money away now and the gov'ment will pinch it

If you can be sure that you and your wife will both die before reaching 50, then you have no need to have a pension. However, you had best take out some life assurance if you have a family.

If you think you might live to collect a pension, you need a surprisingly large amount tucked away.

For example, a 60-year old man wanting a flat (no index-linking) pension will get about 6.2% income from his pension fund for the rest of his life. So to receive £6,200 per year he would need a fund of £100,000. If he wanted to receive £31,000 a year he would need a fund of £500,000

If he wanted index linking against inflation the rates would be lower. If he wanted a pension for his surviving widow the rates would be lower (look at BBC2 Teletext page 260 onwards for more examples)

This means that to collect a good pension, you need an amazingly large amount of money tucked away.

However, if you start young, it is surprisingly achievable.

Consider tucking away £1,000 and letting it grow with compound interest for 40 years with no withdrawals. It will be worth a lot by the end. If you start contributing to a pension fund when you are young, and continue through your working life, you can build up a lot.

It is much more important to start young than to try and increase your contributions when you get old. This is because your later contributions will not have the 40 years in which to grow, so an extra year at the start is worth very much more than an extra year at the end.

A few things to bear in mind:

Annual and initial charges can eat a lot out of your fund. If you are just starting, go for a low-cost stakeholder fund. They are limited by the government in how much they can take off you. Later, when you are older and have established a big fund, you may be able to find someone who offers you even lower charges.

If you find a salesman who wants to persuade you to take out a non-stakeholder scheme, be aware that he ios probably doing it because he will make thousands of pounds commission out of you, and be aware that this commission will come out of charges taken out of your fund. Salesmen do not usually sell Stakeholder schemes because the charges are very low so there is not much money to spare for commissions. The salesman's interest and your interests are very different.

If your employer offers a scheme, take it up. The employer will usually contribute a worthwhile amount, and the charges will usually be much lower than you could get as an individual.

If you are able to make contributions greater than your employer will match, consider putting the extra into a stand-alone scheme. It has nothing to do with your employer so you can put more or less into it whenever you wish, and can draw on it earlier or later than the employers scheme. You can also keep it going when you change jobs.

You will find people (including me) who complain that the stock market crash has reduced the value of their pension funds over the last year or so.

Be aware however that if you a youngish man, then over the space of 40- years you can expect to see whatever you invest in go up, and down, and up again. There have however been very few occurrences in the history of the world where investments have not been substantially higher at the end of 40 years, or 30, or 20, than they were at the beginning. As you get nearer to your retirement age you will probably start to trickle your pension fund into low-risk investments such as cash. investments tent to group into High-Risk, High Return ones at one end, and Low-Risk, Low Return ones at the other, and as a young man you will do better to start at the High end of the continuum.

The only time when it is not worth paying into a pension, is if you expect it to be so small that you will be on income benefits during retirement, which will top up your income to about £125 per week. So if your State and Personal pensions total £100 per week you will be topped up to £125, and if you have scrimped and saved to get yourself £124, you will still be topped up to the same £125, so you might as well not have bothered. I hope you will be better off than that.

On a tangent, since Pension Contributions are non taxable (you get a rebate on whatever you put in), if you have a good year and move into the 40% tax bracket, every £1 you put into your pension costs only 60p out of your pocket. If you have your own company, you can save the NI as well, so every pound costs less than 50P. Pension payments (when you draw the income) are taxable, though, but you are less likely to be a higher rate taxpayer once you retire.

Sponsored Links
About 3 years ago, a friend was made redundant when the textile factory that he managed closed down. Having been there all of his working life, I imagined that he would retire with a fair lump sum and a good pension. Consequently, I was very surprised when he took on quite a mundane job with fairly low wages. I only found out in the last few months that he had to keep on working because he had lost all of his pension ( I'm not sure about his lump sum). How is this possible John D?

On a tangent, since Pension Contributions are non taxable (you get a rebate on whatever you put in),

Am I right in thinking you can backdate contributions? My 06/07 tax year was pretty good but the last was pretty poor (50% cap allw on van plus thousands to equip)

I'm 30 and have no pension so should really start being serious about it... where would I go for independant, unbiased advice? Given the amount of people who have lost out big time (and I'm talking pre-"credit crunch") evan with supposedly low risk low returners like the pru, I'm cynical about the whole thing and wonder if a smarter idea would be to invest in property.

Good advice from JohnD.

You should also consider ISA's where the returns are tax free.

... he had lost all of his pension
AFAIK no UK Life Office (Like Pru, Norwich Union, Legal & General) has ever gone bust or been unable to pay its pensioners, but some companies have insufficiently-funded pension schemes (usually because they have made insufficient contributions, occasionally because they have stolen the money - remember Bob Maxwell?)

If a company goes bust with an underfunded pension scheme, the government has slowly and reluctantly set up some schemes to help the pensioners. I do not know much about these, but I believe they are slow to pay out; do not pay as much as you would have expected; have caps on the maximum; and are not good for people who are not yet drawing their pension. Write to your MP and vote for an Employee Representative Trustee on the Pension Scheme Board (you are entitled to do this).

This is one more reason why it is worthwhile putting your additional contributions into a free-standing scheme of your own with a stakeholder pension, rather than putting it all into your employer's scheme.

I used to work for a company that went bust, but its pension scheme was managed by Barclays so the funding was transparent and unaffected. I believe it is quite common now for small and medium-sized companies to have their pension schemes run by the major life offices.

Hairyben you asked where to go for unbiased and independant advice trouble is i don't think you will get any if you go to a financial advisor they will tell you that investments will go up as well as down.The way stock markets are at the moment one would suppose that the next move is up but who can tell, for what its worth my own pension has collapsed in value so that is now worth what it was at the beginning of 2006 and still falling.Pension rules dictate that it has to be linked to the the top 100 companies in the stock exchange and the banks are in that so it is still going down.No doubt who ever you speak to you will be told it is a long term investment but the nearer you come to retirement it turns into a short term one.

Am I right in thinking you can backdate contributions?
I used to do it, but IIRC this was removed when the limits on pension contributions were lifted. You can now contribute any amount you want, up to the total of your earnings in the tax year (you used to be limited to 15%/20%/25% etc depending on age, so the back-dating could be useful)

Have a look at the HMRC website where I expect the current rules are available.

Pension rules dictate that it has to be linked to the the top 100 companies in the stock exchange
no they don't

However you might be invested in a Tracker Fund that is based on the FTSE 100.

You can also get All-Share Trackers, or you can invest in Property Funds, Far East, American, European, Emerging Economies, Commodites; Gold Funds, Cash Funds or anything else that takes your fancy.

Are you 100% certain on that Johnd i'm talking a company pension.Just had a look at mine its run by Fidelity and invested with Barclays Global fund and 50% is invested in the uk ftse.Best thing to do with your money at the moment is to spend it so you get some value from it and not to invest and watch it loose it value.Company rules were tightened up after the maxwell scandal, the thing to remember is where there is money there is a con.

I was working out with what i paid in and the amount i'm drawing now( final salary)that it would take me at least 7 years just to break even with what i'd paid in thats without interest approx 10 years before i start to take anything out the main fund.

I decided to take mine early as I thought the same as others as to how long I may survive once reaching proper retirement, in effect id have had to wait another 25 years in order to get just what i'd paid in.

These pension people know exactly what they are doing ;)

Just had a look at mine its run by Fidelity and invested with Barclays Global fund and 50% is invested in the uk ftse.

I used to have a BGI pension, and I chose several funds. there was a defaut choice for people who didn't want to decide. The tracker is usually a fairly safe choice but the last year or so has been a bit of a shock. Maybe in ayear or two it will clamber up again.

I bet if you asked, they would let you select your own funds.

Sponsored Links
Back