Period house floor advice. Suspended, solid or half and half?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to start by saying thanks to all of you who've responded to my couple of other posts relating to the renovation of our house. Your advice has been hugely helpful and we are now well under way.

The title should also have read 'floor' not 'foundation'. Apologies, rookie error.

I haven't been able to find a definitive answer as to the best way to proceed with the ground floor aspect of the renovation of our Victorian terraced house, hence I want to ask for your advice! Thanks so much!

1.We’re about to build a side infill/return extension and also had planned to replace the current concrete floor in the rear of the house as it’s been poorly done. This has led us to consider removing the suspended timber floor at the front of the house too and replacing the entire floor area throughout with a hardcore, sand blinded, dpm, insulation and concrete oversite build up. This will hopefully address issues with rodent ingress and different warm up times for ufh should we leave the suspended floor and also have concrete underfloor areas. The floor laid throughout will be engineered wood with ufh.

2.What are your views on doing this, as I’m worried about problems with damp occurring as the subfloor area will be solid and unable to breathe?

3.The other options would be a.making the entire floor throughout suspended with a breathable subfloor throughout or b.proceeding with the extension and rear floors in the concrete oversite finish and leaving the original floor suspended. This would of course be problematic in terms of the ufh warm-up times and cost. Would either of these options be preferable to the first?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Am I thinking you have confused concrete oversite with foundation?

Am I thinking you have confused concrete oversite with foundation?
Notch7, thanks, it would seem that I might have. The concrete would be used to fill the space under the current floor and a floor built on top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back