Permission for blocking up window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m looking for some advice please. I live in a first and second floor flat - the previous owners internally blocked up the second floor bathroom window in 1989 and installed a skylight instead.

Would I need planning permission or a building warrant to block this window off externally? My building isn’t listed and is not in a conservation area, and the window is at the gable end and not street facing. I’ve received conflicting advice, and the only official information I can find is that I need planning permission if I’m altering the size of of the dimension of the window. I live in Scotland, incase that is relevant

Thank you so much for any help!

Sponsored Links
The test - in England at least - is whether it would materially affect the external appearance of the building so unless pd, I would say yes.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back