Pests?

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks

What have I got in my loft and how do I get it repaired? That's a big hole in a thick lead valley for mice or rats

I guess a combination of pest control and a roofer? Those droppings look fairly fresh to me and I was thinking that although the valley needs repairing, there is no sign of a leak and the animals would just chew their way in again.

Thanks

bsr
IMG_20180826_095702.jpg
IMG_20180826_095816.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180826_095819.jpg
    IMG_20180826_095819.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 230
Sponsored Links
bsr, good evening.

Hate to say it the size of the droppings looks like rats?? It is difficult to say without a comparison, Mice and Rat droppings are generally the same shape, one, the rats being larger than the other.

Around this time of year, the rats and mice are, in effect looking for somewhere dry and warm to over winter.

I have just had an invasion of a rat or rats in the rear yard, happens from time to time. I simply place rat killer down ensuring that nothing else can get at it and once trained to eat this stuff, I simply feed more of it until the bate does not disappear, rat, or rats have gone.

Point being, you can, at a lot less cost than a pest controller, undertake a DIY eradication, the bate is cheap and easily purchased, just keep filling up the feed trays, the pest control firm will charge a load of money to do the above once a week.

If you feel able to undertake the above get some bate tomorrow, it comes in "seed" or "pasta" form each work, it just takes time, in my cast about a week. OK the commercial stuff may??? work faster??? Now for a TOP TIP?? on top of the bate add a small blob of Peanut Butter, it is irresistible to rodents, makes the bate vanish faster.

Down side of eradication inside is that during the process you may have a smell in the property [no easy way of saying this, decomposition of targets]
same thing will happen with the pest control company?

OK lets step back a bit. why are the rodents there? is there an external attractant? external to the house food source? or is there a colony of them somewhere very local to you? old property? Hens? Etc.

Consider placing bate externally?? a ring of bate around the property?

As for the roof repair?

I would start feeding your non-paying tenants and hen the bate is not touched get the roofer in to close up their main door, if you close up the access door for the rodents with some of them now trapped in the property they will be all over the place.

Ken

Thank you both. I tried baits and traps without success. Maybe the rat has gone but the droppings looked fresh to me.

I've called in the council who put down some new Bait and some fluorescent powder to track their movements.

I'm not looking forward to clearing the loft once the rats have gone

Sponsored Links
Council visited after a week and the bait wasn't taken. Latest theory is that it is a squirrel. Trap placed. We shall see what happens next!

By the shape of the droppings my money is on rats?

We await an outcome, a raccoon Squirrel hat perhaps?

Ken.

I went to a job last week and a squirrel had chewed
a hole in the lead back gutter. (behind the chimney) for those who don't know. That's the first time I have
seen that.

Can make a right mess

Attachments

• lilfkrs.jpg
    lilfkrs.jpg
    658.6 KB · Views: 233
  • two.jpg
    two.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 243
Time to buy an Air Rifle [whilst you still can in England without the need for an Air Weapons License]

And so long as they are the grey variety!

Ken

Mystery solved... Squirrel carcass found in the loft today. Unfortunately not accessible by hand, time to see if anyone I know has some long tongs. It's died on some electrical cables, I hope it wasn't chewing them at the time.

Last edited:
bsr, good evening.

On the bright side Scratch the purchase of the air rifle then?

Ken

Charity shops often have those litter picker tongs as their elderly owners who used them to avoid bending or reaching have passed away

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back