Petrol lawn mower troubles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Mountfield HP184 lawn mower has been playing up.

It wont start, I have changed the fuel, spark plug, checked the oil.

I put it in the choke position pull the cord and on one occassion the engine fires and then immediately conks out. Then it wont start again until I tried again a few weeks later and it did the same.

Any ideas welcome!

Sponsored Links
Check for a spark, just don't let the plug sit on plastic while checking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drSep-Bp7wE

Next Check for continuous fuel, easiest way is to pour a few cc's into the carburetor after taking the air filter off. You can leave the air filter off, encase its clogged? Do this test outside, if the engine runs for longer than normal, you have fuel starvation. Is the tap switched on fully?
http://bit.ly/18xdfeo

A Chinese copy of a Briggs and Stratton engine :p
Does the mower have a choke flap, or a rubber primer button on the side?
John :)

Well progress this afternoon has been positive (I think).

There's no primer button, not sure about a choke flap, it does have a choke setting on the speed lever, so I guess so(?).

When changing the fuel I didn't originally empty the carburettor bowl. I have undone that and there's lots of yellow gunk, like jelly in there. I'm off to get some carburettor cleaner and I'll give it a clean out.

I'm hoping that this is the problem. Thanks for your suggestions so far, I'll keep you posted.

Sponsored Links
The fuel must be well old indeed to be like that.....I would think you'll need to clean out the needle valve assembly, main jet and emulsion tube to make it happy again.
Briggs and Stratton do a fuel preserver additive, if long term storage is your thing - or there's Aspen fuel which is benzine free (I think) that doesn't go off.
John :)

if you havnt a spark still and im assuming that your mower has a briggs engine then try disconnecting your brake switch. its not the HT lead but a small wire that comes off from the ignition coil and cuts the spark when your let go of the throttle handle.

just servicing one of my mowers, an etesia pbe46 with a briggs 160 which hasnt sparked recently. disconnected the brake wire and i have a spark. dont know what it means or why it is stopping it from operating but the mower seems like it"ll run once its back together. just a thought.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back