Peugeot 1.6HDi particulate filter message

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
We have had this message "possible particulate filter blocked" displayed on our 2005 peugeot 307 1.6 hdi after filling it up at the weekend.

I have tried to research a bit about this but it seems a bit confusing about the possible problems.
( I have given it a good >70mph blast up the motorway and the message is still on.)

1- If the 'additive if needed can you simply top it up and...bingo ( nothing in life can be this simple.... surely? ) :confused:

2- If we have to take it to the garage does anyone know the labour time for a job like this? would they just replace the whole filter thing?

My hubbie was thinking to have a bash... is this something that a DIYer could do?

How urgent is this and what would happen if we left this message and did nothing?

Sorry there are so many questions.... but thanks in advance

Cheers
Amanda

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
There are 2 types of emmission control for particulate filters. Some have an additive which requires topping up at approximately every 30,000 miles. This needs to be done by a dealer as it requires some re-setting with their diagnostic equipment. It's not too expensive, I was quoted £120 by a Volvo dealer. The additive is a thick brown gooey stuff, which you wouldn't want to get covered in. The filler is under the car, and normally needs some sort of adapter to fill the bottle. The other type does not have any additive. Driving the car at 70 mph will not necessarily clear the filter (passive regeneration), as the engine revs will be low in 5th gear. The engine needs to be thrashed, but this is not really a good idea. Again,it's into the dealers I'm afraid, to have the particulate filter 'actively' cleaned by using their electronic diagnostic equipment.

Back