Peugeot 106 Diesel 1.5 Fuel Pump leak (1996)

Well i took it back to the garage and asked them to check the glow plugs (although i was convinced it couldn't be, because they were changed late last year)

If this engine (The XRAD) is similar to the XUD (1.7 & !.9) engine then the last offerings from Peugeot chewed up the glow plugs much quicker than the early engines.

This is because they incorporated a much longer post-start glow timer and so they are on for 5 or 6 times longer than previously.

There could be a microswitch on the throttle quadrant on the pump that cuts out the post-glow when you open the throttle sufficiently (saves instant glow plug death) and if you move the cam around so that the switch is permanently 'made' you can cancel out the post glow and (at least) quadruple the life of the plugs :D

You won't notice any difference to how the engine sounds or performs.[/code]

Sponsored Links
Thanks Julian- that's technical! What i've found out with this car in the 3 years i've had it (and running mainly on bio diesel) is that the glow plugs need replacing roughly every 18 months. They were last changed in September/October last year, so i honestly didn't think it could be the plugs. (They were NGK too)

Thanks Julian- that's technical! What i've found out with this car in the 3 years i've had it (and running mainly on bio diesel) is that the glow plugs need replacing roughly every 18 months. They were last changed in September/October last year, so i honestly didn't think it could be the plugs. (They were NGK too)

Yes, in my experience 18 months is not an unreasonable expectation especially if you do a lot of short journeys.

Look for that throttle quadrant microswitch and if you find it and it looks easy enough then slacken the (plastic) cam retaining bolt and rotate the cam so the switch is always made - takes a minute.

If you stick a picture up of the pump I'll have a look and see if I can identify the switch and see if it's common with the XUD engine fitted with either Bosch VE or Lucas DPA pump.

Sponsored Links
Hi all, the battery warning light turned out to be that the (armiture?) within the alternator had failed, so this has been replaced and all's well. Seemingly this fault was purely coincidental and nothing to do with the pum buggering up or the glow plugs dying! I love my little 106 but it's well and truly in the last chance saloon now...

Many thanks for all your help,

Steve

Back