Peugeot 106 Pad Retaining Pins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if anyone can provide me with some inspiration and advice!? I've just spent the best part of an afternoon trying to free a seized pad retaining pin on the ATI calipers on my missus' M reg Pug 106. The damn thing is in there solid and will not come out!
So far I've tried cleaning all the surface corrosion off and applying localised heat. No joy. Went crazy with the WD40 and left it to saok in for an hour. No joy. Last resort I tried going a bit heavier handed with the pin punch. One broken pin punch.
Any magicians out there with advice will automatically become my best mate forever!
Kev

Sponsored Links
Are they the ones with the 'R' spring clips on the inside of the caliper? If so, make sure theyre both off.

You have my sympathy in your frustration.

I take it you have round pins (with clips, as Neo says) and not the sliding keys fitted to some Peugeot brakes.

Sometimes, what you need is enough weight in the hammer head. You can spend hours hitting a pin with too light a hammer to no effect.

Check that the pin punch is the correct diameter. Check that you're not simply peening (peining?) over the end of the pin.

Is it possible to rotate the pins with a Mole wrench to free them before driving them out?

Get kits of new pins and spring clips for when you reassemble, and use anti-seize. All the best.

Hallelujah!! I've got the buggers out! Broke two pin punches in the process, used gallons of penetrating fluid, mashed the pins almost to a pulp with mole grips, but they're out! Oh the joys of automotive DIY!
Many thanks to those who offered advice.

Sponsored Links
Back