Peugeot 106 front brake pads - pins seized

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intended changing the front brake pads of my R reg Peugeot 106 today and what should have been a quick and easy 1 hr job, wasn't.
It's fitted with ATE calipers and the pads are secured in place with top and bottom pins. The top retaining pins on both sides were tapped out easily but the bottom ones were completely seized and I could not knock them out. On the one side I even partly drilled into the caliper where the end of the pin fits to give me something solid to hit and I sprayed it with loads of WD40.But no end of thumping it would move it.
On the other wheel, when that bottom pin would also not budge I just gave in.
Any tips/advice would be appreciated to avoid me having to take it to a garage to sort it out.

Sponsored Links
I have similar calipers on my wife's Saxo. Both pins should knock out with a pin punch and hammer.

I have similar calipers on my wife's Saxo. Both pins should knock out with a pin punch and hammer.

Thanks for the reply Johndug.

I admit I haven't used a proper pin punch but have been using other things like nails with flattened heads adapted as pin punches.The top pins both almost slid out on their own.The bottom pins seem to be welded into their holes.

Sponsored Links
I changed my break pads on my 1996 Peugeot 106 on the weekend. I too couldn't knock the pins out with a pin punch, as Haynes manual instructs. Once the calipers are a few years old, they seems to be in for good.

I Split the calipers, removing the 2ellen keys at the rear of the calipers (requires a 10mm allen key) I actually gave then a whack with a mallet, when they were half way out. This worked like a treat. I'm not convinced that removing the pins is the correct solution for changing the pads.

Hope that this helps someone.

Austimbo.

Back