seized brake bleed nipple help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just trying to sort the Father in laws brakes out, Seeing as he let the pads go right down to metal and then some. In the end he was forced to sort them, as the inboard N/S pad metal backing (or what was left of it) fell out of the caliper and jammed betwween the splash guard and the disc. So there were two sources of grinding noise, one being the jammed metal backing plate rubbung on the disc, and two, the CALIPER PISTON rubbing onto the disc :eek: :eek: ANYWAY i have had to take the caliper off to free off the pistons in the front caliper and get them back into the housing....................BUT the dam bleed nipple is seized, have any of you more experienced chaps have any tips on releasing it, Its a NISSAN if that makes any difference on size of spanner to use, I have been using a 10mm but that seems a little loose. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Either a decent ring spanner or a socket over it, but be very gentle!
If it does break, then the only real solution is a recon caliper.
Try soaking it in wd-40 or a gentle bit of heating with a blow lamp.

great advice cheers, been to Halfrauds and bought a dedicated bleed nipple spanner. and will be giving it a thorough heating before hand, Thanks again

Can you remove any nearby brake pipes that are in the way?

Then you should have enough room to get a good pair of mole grips etc on it.

I have just had exactly the same problem, I managed it with a good pair of pliers once I had the room.

Put a new nipple in.

Sponsored Links
The caliper is off the car mate, so i can put it in a vice and have a good crack at it............... ;)

Be careful if you are going to apply heat to the caliper, dont forget there are rubber seals that will be destroyed if over heating is applied.

Sorted chaps. nipple came out with a bit of local heating and gland pliers...........just got to get new nipple now, and the local motor factors havnt got any :confused: as you can see below the original pads had seen better days!!! Thanks again for the Advice
IMG_0022.jpg

If you got the nipple out intact (apart from a bit of rounding to the head) you should be able to use it until you get a replacement.

Sponsored Links
Back