Citroen Xantia Brakes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Changing the brake discs and pads today and I was trying to figure out how to get the piston on the caliper to go back in so I started the engine and pressed the brake pedal and of course it went all the way out and came adrift so to speak.I
t dumped all the LHM fluid that was inside the caliper on the floor and i had to take the piston out to get it screwed back in. got it back in ok and with the bleed screw open I screwed and pushed it to it's minimum position. Now the problem is that it won't move when you press the brake pedal with the engine started and the brakes on that side are effectively siezed. Would this be sorted by bleeding the brakes or have I knackered the caliper?

Sponsored Links
Oooops!!!! If bleeding the system wont sort it then it looks like new caliper time as the mech inside might not be as together as it should, try bleeding by running the engine, get an assistant to hold there foot on the brake and open the bleed screw, LHM should freely run out! Make sure the reservoir is topped up while doing this!!

For future refference the front pistons need to be compressed and screwed back in as the handbrake is on the front ;)

Ps - If you do get it working make certain there are no leaks as the seal might have been damaged when the piston popped out/was popped back in.

been faffing about with it today, i've bled it and that and although i've now got it working, it's pretty stiff and it leaks. So sod it, new caliper time :(
With regards to the pistons needing to be compressed, do you mean screwing them in as far as they go? The handbrake is working ok at the moment (i haven't bled it properly yet because i thought there's no point until i fit the new caliper

Sponsored Links
been faffing about with it today, i've bled it and that and although i've now got it working, it's pretty stiff and it leaks. So s** it, new caliper time :(
Not necessarily. Try replacing the seals first.

Back