Brake caliper rewind kits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Almost too cheap to be true.....I'm sure it'll do the job fine.
Its a normal clockwise rotation for the pistons on yours.
John :)

Yep, these both wind in clockwise (not all do this though....some are left handed, some cars like the Mondeo have both.)
I've never used that cube device - I'm not sure how you would apply enough pressure when turning the thing.

Sponsored Links
Why is pressure required ?

If the piston winds back in, I'd presumed it was on a thread and just needed to be turned.

Yep, these both wind in clockwise (not all do this though....some are left handed, some cars like the Mondeo have both.)
I've never used that cube device - I'm not sure how you would apply enough pressure when turning the thing.
Never actually used them at all, but is that a half inch hole to take a socket wrench or whatever in that cube?
(ETA I see what you mean. Pressure pushing in?)
Makes me think "We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile!"

Tools are silly cheap these days. I was looking at quite large sets of Helicoil type inserts, with lots of sizes, and taps etc. for just over twenty quid the other day.

So the shaft on which the piston rotates needs pressure to hold it from spinning ?

I suspect the low price for the 22pc winder set is so low in price because the seller is based in China and they ship bulk quantities of goods to UK and have the individual items posted out when purchased.

Its all to do with the ratchetting mechanism that prevents the piston coming back in of its own accord......it keeps the pads just kissing the disc so the handbrake is good.
Sometimes its vital to release the calliper holding bracket on these cars to get the disc off, and sometimes its nigh on impossible to release the holding bolts - especially if they are the splined type. Come back if you have that problem - there is a way round it. I'm talking about the rears here - the fronts won't be a problem.

Front brakes done, bedded in with Ceretec grease. Nice easy job. Rear brakes to do during the week when my new piston winder tool kit arrives.

I like Juratek brakes and pads which I've fitted. To me the discs have a better machined finish than Mintex - just my opinion!

Shifting the rear discs may be more of an issue, depending whether your luck is in.....
If you leave the calliper support bracket in place (sometimes the bolts are absurdly tight) you'll probably find the old discs will come off, but the new ones won't go back :eek:
This is due to the wear lip rusting away on the disc edge. Anyway if this happens, slacken the hub nut until its nearly off. This allows you to pull the hub towards you, and you can juggle the new disc in. (y)
One more tip, make sure the brake levers on the calliper are fully back against the stop before inserting the new pads......you'll probably have to bray the old pads out.
Enjoy!

Job done.

Had to get new calipers from the scrappy due to seized pistons but got all the bolts, rubbers and a spare set of pads.

The piston rewind kit I got works well and is good quality.

Now have splendid brakes all round.

One thing I don't like about the Bora rear caliper design is that the pad springs twist the caliper on its slider pins.

I used the cube device on my old Citroen C5, the first caliper turned and turned at first but the second went back easily. I guess I wasn't pushing hard enough. I've got my allen key sockets already at B&Q for about £6.50 less 10% old fogeys discount

Sponsored Links
Back