Brake caliper seal kits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone had success with these? - I've seen some on ebay

I'm doing the front pads and discs on my Rover 45 diesel

When I pushed the piston back, the fluid started weeping out.

Its either a replacement caliper from the scrappy or try my luck with a seal kit.

Sponsored Links
Its possible to reseal your own calipers, but it does depend on the condition of them somewhat.....
If the piston, when you get it out, is rusty, it needs to be replaced too.
You'll need to bleed later, so can you undo the bleed nipple - or has it sheared off? The same applies with the brake pipe - often they are a swine to move!
Other than that, you'll need to be very clean as you work, using a good smear of brake fluid on all of the rubber surfaces, and you'll make sure that the seal grooves are clear and clean. Any excessive corrosion on the bore of the caliper means that its scrap.
John :)

When re-sealing, do you mean with the original seal, even though the fluid has leaked past it?

No I wouldn't trust the old seal really....if you were to pop the piston out and clean it up (I use a brass mop in my bench grinder for this) you may get away with it, but the seal is sure to have tiny scratches so I'd want a new one.
I can't recommend short cuts with braking systems - sorry!
Bear in mind, for the MOT the brakes mustn't bind at all - its the square section main seal that retracts the piston as it distorts when you press the brake pedal that does this.
John :)
I'll just edit that poor explanation....when you press the brake pedal, the piston moves out, distorting the main seal as it does so. As the seal tries to regain its original shape, it pulls the piston back a fraction, releasing the brake.
J.

Sponsored Links
I've sourced a caliper from a local breakers yard who'll stamp it and give me my money back if it leaks.

Thanks for the info Burnerman

All done and brakes working well.

The irony is that the Rover in the breakers yard that I got the caliper off had new pads and disc on it but only the drivers side which I wanted.

With Mintex pads and discs fitted, all is well again.

Back