rear brakes (ford focus 52reg)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sum advice needed on replacing the rear brakes on 2.0ghia focus 52 reg, calipers and discs/pads are on the back.

How do you remove the caliper is it just the 2 bolts??? plus do i need a certain tool to wind the pistons back again?

help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Hi, To remove the caliper you will need to remove the two 13mm bolts from the caliper, and yes you will need a tool to wind back the piston. Sometimes the pistons have to be wound back in a certain direction or they wont go back. I wouldn't be tempted to use mole grips or gas pliers as more than likely the rubber seal will be damaged.

hi, i got the two 13mm bolts out and then the caliper was getting stuck on a slight lip on the brake disk, thats the furthest i got and didnt fancy whacking the caliper off.

do i need to open the piston somehow to create a gap to get over the slight lip in the disc??

is it only the 2 bolts what connect the caliper?

Just get a lever and lever the caliper. You wont damage the caliper as long as you don't go over the top as the brake pads should break up as you remove the caliper.

Sponsored Links
Before you wind the piston back in the caliper, pull the seal back with a small screwdriver and spray some WD40 or penetrating oil around the seal. Makes it so much easier to wind piston in and minimises the risk of damaging the seal.

Back